• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pulse wheel clarification

Redlineracer12

Addicted CEG'er
Ok, after reading plenty of old posts and seeing old pictures I'm now more confused then before.

Here's what my pulse wheel looks like with it set on the 20-25-34y-30m setting vs the 30 R setting.
WHICH IS HOPEFULLY THE WRONG WAY:
Pulsewheel.jpg

My only concern in all the other posts the pulsewheels missing tooth has been opposite to this side where my 20-25-34y-30m is. However on mine the missing tooth is on the same side of the pulse wheel as the 20-25.... setting. Is this going to cause a problem?

Here's an old picture to show what I mean:

fordrule on NECO said:
You need to use the keyway furthest away from the missing tooth.
fb812c8a.jpg

and this one:

pulsewheel5iw.jpg

and another source:
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ber=365925&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Last edited:
Now that I look at it, if I put it on the 30 R setting it looks more like the one in the picture, and the keyway is furthest away from the missing tooth as described in countless posts before... Which is why I think this is probably the correct way:

Pulsewheel2.jpg

But I'm not going further til I get this sorted out. I'll be bolting up my headers and the like until I hear back from a few experts on the issue.

TIA

Keyway facing the gap = no start

Keyway facing away from gap = good

Trust me, I put the 3.0 in with the wheel on wrong.... pulled it back to fix that (among a couple other things)

Trust me, I put the 3.0 in with the wheel on wrong.... pulled it back to fix that (among a couple other things)

Thanks, I kinda was thinking that, it's how I have it now. Just the whole 30 R was scaring me a bit. I'm not even going to look at the stupid lettering.

Keyway facing away from the gap is how I'm setting it. Gonna silicone and mount the timing cover now so if anyone has any other input let me know anyhow :)

since im doin a full 3.0 swap no mods no CSVT stuff this is still required right .. if so thanks the correct pic was tons of help as well as your quote above like the words of car gods lol ...

That picture does not help much of anything.

The pulse wheel needs to be set to the timing cover you are using!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS picture is what should be followed
fb812c8a.jpg

If you buy a taurus motor and keep the 3 liter cams and use the 2.5 liter timing cover from your old 2.5 motor you need to swap the pulsewheel from what it was while using the taurus timing cover, to the other keyway (opposite from the gap in the teeth)

If you use an escape motor, with an escape cover, and svt cams you LEAVE the pulsewheel where it is (since the escape cover is the same keyway as the contour)

Bottom line, decide what timing cover you are using and look at the picture and set the pulsewheel to what the picture says.

That picture does not help much of anything.

The pulse wheel needs to be set to the timing cover you are using!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS picture is what should be followed
fb812c8a.jpg

If you buy a taurus motor and keep the 3 liter cams and use the 2.5 liter timing cover from your old 2.5 motor you need to swap the pulsewheel from what it was while using the taurus timing cover, to the other keyway (opposite from the gap in the teeth)

If you use an escape motor, with an escape cover, and svt cams you LEAVE the pulsewheel where it is (since the escape cover is the same keyway as the contour)

Bottom line, decide what timing cover you are using and look at the picture and set the pulsewheel to what the picture says.

about time someone posted the rules for an exact application b 4 i did my swap i had no clue what position it was suposed to b in but this sums it up for everyone especally newbs...... thanks for the bottom line .. well said..

Back