• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

need some advice. motor with oil cooler or without it

need some advice. motor with oil cooler or without it

• with oil cooler

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

enigma11211

CEG'er
I have a 99 csvt and it needs a new motor ( span the rod) and im planning on getting a 2005 rebuild escape motor from a dealer . I called one of the dealer to ask how much and he ask if I need the motor with oil cooler or without it . there is almost a $1000 difference. my question is which one should i be getting ? Or can I use the old oil cooler from the 2.5 l motor ?

I installed an air cooled setup with a temp regulated sandwich plate for less than $250. .. it stablizes the engine temp in a very noticable way.

Not sure about your plans for the new engine mod wise, but if you decide to have an oil cooler... i whole heartedly recommend an air cooled over stock water cooled.

These work very well on hotter days (fans cutting in) .... G.

OK thanks ! Mods wise it has headers and pullys that's about it . is there anything else I should look for or do when I'm doing the swap?

Why spend all that money on a rebuilt motor from the dealer? You can still find decent low mileage 3L's at salvage yards and save thousands of dollars.

Definitely should get a junkyard motor. They are ~$350 for around 40-50k. Those motors are barely broken in. If you want a no bs drop in buy it from blackcoog and you'll still probably save thousands.

Its all new to me ... just wondering am I going to have any issues using the 2.5 pullys , power steering pump , water pump , valve cover ect ....I'm going to using svt intake I know it needs be bored out . I did look for a used motor they all want 1000-1200 with175 to 200 km . but I oreded a rebuild long block motor $3700 cdn it comes with oil pan , value cover .

Its all new to me ... just wondering am I going to have any issues using the 2.5 pullys , power steering pump , water pump , valve cover ect ....I'm going to using svt intake I know it needs be bored out . I did look for a used motor they all want 1000-1200 with175 to 200 km . but I oreded a rebuild long block motor $3700 cdn it comes with oil pan , value cover .

$3700??? That's almost 3grand americano! Good Lord! If it's not too late to cancel that order, i suggest you do so right away. 3lduratec.com has much cheaper engines. Call and talk to him. Your svt intakes will not be bored out. It's the heads that will need to be to match your svt lower & upper intake manifolds. 3Lduratec does all that for you already. You get an engine that's ready to be dropped in, with all the nuances & mods taken care of already. Where in canada are you located?

Holy crap! I don't think I could swallow dropping that much on a stock 3L engine. The engines seem to demand a little more $$ here in Canada it seems, but that's downright insane! My 3L build I found an 05 Sable 3L with 29,000km for $900cdn less than a 3 hour drive away.

I don't mean to be insulting, but it really sounds like your just throwing money at your car and charging forward without a lot of thought. Your not even entirely sure which accessories you need to bolt to the engine? Slow down! Do some research and hit car-part.com to look for a low mileage 3L. It took me months to do my 3L swap, most of that time wasn't spent turning wrenches but researching, researching and researching.

Where in Canada are you?

Its too late I paid in full just waiting for motor to arrive . I'm in Vancouver BC . my car has only 50 km that's about 40 miles I think .

$3700??? That's almost 3grand americano! Good Lord! If it's not too late to cancel that order, i suggest you do so right away. 3lduratec.com has much cheaper engines. Call and talk to him. Your svt intakes will not be bored out. It's the heads that will need to be to match your svt lower & upper intake manifolds. 3Lduratec does all that for you already. You get an engine that's ready to be dropped in, with all the nuances & mods taken care of already. Where in canada are you located?

I'm in Vancouver I called all the Wreaker I could think of around BC they want 1000-1300 for a motor with 170 -200 km that's a lot of km in my opinion. Ford is charging me 1100 for core they won't take my 2.5 l they wanna 3.0 . I found a recycling company/ wreaker thats willing to sell non working motor for 350. My car has only 50 km never seen snow or rain I want to put a reliable motor in it and forget it .

Holy crap! I don't think I could swallow dropping that much on a stock 3L engine. The engines seem to demand a little more $$ here in Canada it seems, but that's downright insane! My 3L build I found an 05 Sable 3L with 29,000km for $900cdn less than a 3 hour drive away.

I don't mean to be insulting, but it really sounds like your just throwing money at your car and charging forward without a lot of thought. Your not even entirely sure which accessories you need to bolt to the engine? Slow down! Do some research and hit car-part.com to look for a low mileage 3L. It took me months to do my 3L swap, most of that time wasn't spent turning wrenches but researching, researching and researching.

Where in Canada are you?

Yes I will thanks for the help ... Friend of mind giving me a hand with it im going to take it slow ... I like to do the clutch at the same time what would you recommend? I looked online for OEM ones but i think its obsolete. And I'm going to do the LSD at the same time

Okay. Hope it all works out for ya. If u have any other questions, shoot.

Back