• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

max extrude honed uim and larger tb ?

art

CEG'er
port matched 3l engine, rebuilt this winter with forged rods, cp pistons, ported heads, svt cams , etc.
remapped yesterday on dyno with 238 hp and 200 ft lb torque , so basically almost as far as I can go
so next thoughts if anyone can give me some feedback would be max honed uim . and maybe 65mm tb
who in usa does the extrude honing and what sort of cost , how much hp gain , and would the larger tb gain anymore also .

Hey Art; nice numbers.... i take it that they are flywheel horse power.

The manifolds could and have been in a group buy ... been sent to a company in the states called Extrude Hone. If you send just one UIM to them it could be quite expensive considering the likely gain of 10 to 15 hp. You could check the classifieds for a max extrude honed UIM.
Here you go .. a company in Milton Keynes https://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/kennametal-extrude-hone

I would definately run a 65mm TB. It's a very cheap upgrade that really should have been done as soon as you went 3.0L. I've got one on my 2,5l and you wouldn't get me to take it off for anything.

If you stay N/A you are going to have to spend more and more money for smaller and smaller increases in power. ...G.

p,s, Fill out your sig so we can see all your upgrades.

Those are dyno numbers = hp at the wheels

As far as what else could be done to get more hp. Port match the intake and exhaust ports on the heads and manifolds. Port the bottom of the lower intake so that the center section comes to a knife point as it goes into the open port in the heads (clip the center posts out of the gasket below). If you don't already: Make sure you have headers, high flow/ no cat, and a 2.5" exhaust. Look around for a under drive pulley set to reduce accessory drag.

The last time I had my car dynoed it was in the 220whp range. It could use a bit more top end but it's a blast to drive. When you go with a forced induction setup it's a pain to get any power to the ground and parts start breaking fairly often with 350whp+.

..... seems odd the torque number didn't go up from stock figures ....G.

yes hp figures would include dyno coast down
pushed the ignition as far as we could on unleaded, going to return with super unleaded and a 65mm tb to see how we get on
also have just replaced remus back boxes, the perforated tubes running through have corroded and one had broken away and no longer lining up with the tail pipe, may or may not have cost a few hp , next dyno run will tell

yes hp figures would include dyno coast down
pushed the ignition as far as we could on unleaded, going to return with super unleaded and a 65mm tb to see how we get on
also have just replaced remus back boxes, the perforated tubes running through have corroded and one had broken away and no longer lining up with the tail pipe, may or may not have cost a few hp , next dyno run will tell

Why did you start with 87? The pcm for these cars require premium. Good power regardless... And be sure to optimize that TB

Stock 3L figures are rated at the flywheel, not the wheels, so torque would be up substantially from the stock numbers.

Oh yeah ... seems the drivetrain losses on stock torque figures are the gain. 15 - 17%

As far as i can work out ...the torque is at the wheels and 238bhp is at the flywheel. Otherwise the 238 quoted becomes 274bhp at the flywheel

............................Torque * RPM
Horse Power = -------------------------

can't see that on an undersized TB and regular pump gas and pulled timing

Why did you start with 87? The pcm for these cars require premium.

Your regular gas is 87 or 91- 92 RON What is the rating of Premium ? I'm seeing 91-92 is that correct ?

UK unleaded is 95 RON. Super unleaded is 97 RON

Art; Shell V Power is 98 and Tesco momentum is quoted as 99, just FYI . Interested to know what the tuner says about your timing on better fuel ....G.

yes was set up on 95 ron . and ignition pushed for max power at third. two thirds. and full throttle . and will mostly run 97 ron now as a 98 st24 has no knock sensor
torque against hp looks fine 200.9 ft lb at 5176 and holding 178 ft lb at 7020 revs where it is making max power of 238

really think I have to start off with another ecu
when I threw that 3l engine into the car and went to the dyno it was making over 200 fl lb torque at 3.000 revs and again at 4.500 revs
sent the ecu to be reflashed for the really rich fueling and they sent it back even richer and a 20 ft lb of torque loss
despite being with them a further 3 times power did go up from 200hp to 210 but torque never got above 190 , and I realised I was having my eyes wiped
so with the full engine rebuild and uni chip piggy back we did find another 28 hp and 10 ft lb of torque but still less than the base run
is it possible they have messed up settings in the ecu that unichip cannot correct
is why I am after another untouched ecu with the same map version as mine

which ECU are you using ?

The ST24 PCM doesn't have the cam timing for the ST200 cams. That's why i'm using an SVT one with external PATS ....G.

still the original ecu
had thought about st200 ecu . first mine does not have anti knock sensor. pats is built into ecu. and have been told that some pin out positions had changed from my 98 st 24 to st200 ecu
have not been able to get diagrams for the pins out positions to be able to check what has changed

big question is what did they do to my ecu to lose 20 ft lb torque

have not been able to get diagrams for the pins out positions to be able to check what has changed
i know .. i've tried too.

big question is what did they do to my ecu to lose 20 ft lb torque
you need to make sure they put all the st200/SVT table values in your PCM (timing etc).

Phone Dreamscience ... have a chat with them and see what they advise .... it can't hurt. Check back and let us know what they said .... G.

have you a phone number for dreamscience, name of anyone I should ask for , what ecu do you have and what were they able to do for you , ask for reference , as I am sure I called them once before and whoever I was talking too. as soon as I mentioned 98 st24 just replied sorry mate don't do anything for those

OK here is the web site ..... http://dreamscience-automotive.co.uk/contact-us.php

If they said they don't have the ST24 on their database you may have to go the route i did. I'm using an RJL1 from a pre 98.5 SVT, it has external PATS.
Alternatively, you may have to ask Dreamscience if they have the ST200 on their database and go through the lock changing route to use an ST200 PCM.

When I contacted Dreamscience, Jared e-mailed me later to say that he didn't have the SVT PCM code on his database but he knew someone that would.

He advised i get in contact with Jamie Going at Jamsport. jamie@jam-sport.co.uk

To use an SVT PCM you will need a U.S. Xcal. The Xcal's for UK PCM's cannot be used for an SVT PCM.
I lucked out there because i picked an Xcal up from the guys on the forum long ago.
Jamie wrote me a file for my Vortec with the 39lb injectors and 80mm MAF......it loaded straight up to my Xcal. :laugh:

One thing about tuning. All alterations should be made on the dyno or whilst driving ... postal tuning is only really any good for initial setup.

LMK how you get on ....G.

P.S. make all alterations before making a PCM file .... ie TB MAF exhaust etc.

Back