• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pilot bearing

Raywagner132

CEG'er
I know this topic has been bring up many times, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the pilot bearing out on my full 3l. I tried using pilot bearing pullers, and broke two of them. Also tried cutting a slit down two opposite sides and then using a handheld press to push it together, and broke that. I'd love to get the dang thing out, but its looking more and more like I'm going to have to grind it flush. What do you guys thing?

... I remember guys describing how they packed to bush with grease and hammered the grease with a tight fitting piece of tube.

This will push the bushing from behind and might just free it. Not sure if any of the shock is transmitted to the crank bearings etc.

I think if you keep patience and cut the bushing enough, it will fall apart with no risk of unseen damage ...G.

... I remember guys describing how they packed to bush with grease and hammered the grease with a tight fitting piece of tube.

This will push the bushing from behind and might just free it. Not sure if any of the shock is transmitted to the crank bearings etc.

I think if you keep patience and cut the bushing enough, it will fall apart with no risk of unseen damage ...G.
I ended up just cutting the bearing flush, hopefully the cut down the side of the bearing wont create any problems =/

It s a pilot bushing, not a bearing. Many for years have just been cutting them flush with the crank. As long as the transmission seats correctly there should be no issues.

It s a pilot bushing, not a bearing. Many for years have just been cutting them flush with the crank. As long as the transmission seats correctly there should be no issues.

Thanks
Thanks. I have the transmission in and the shift went into the splines without a problem and I torqued all the flywheel, pressure plate, and bellhouding bolts

Back