No announcement yet.

3L rebuild questions...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3L rebuild questions...

Ok...I have 2 3L engines I'm gonna be rebuilding in the next 3-4 months. I'd like some input on the first, and I'll post another topic when I do the other.

​Unknown year 3L block with 2000 SVT heads/UIM/LIM (True old school hybrid)
    >100,000 miles
    EGR Delete (welded shut)

​Engine was originally put together by former CEG member Cory in WV. Engine was data-logged and tuned. Runs great and didn't burn any oil. I'm pulling the engine and its going into another SVT I just purchased, so I'm gonna rebuild it for the new car. This will be my 3 season fun car. NO TRACKING (I have another SVT I'm prepping for track time). I'm gonna keep the true hybrid format, as it works for the street.

​Parts I'm buying:
    Clevite main and rod bearings
    ARP Head studs (cheaper than the stock TTY Ford head bolts I believe)
    All new gaskets
    ​New crank and camshaft sensors
    Maybe new timing gear?

​I plan on having the heads and block hot tanked, and then the block honed.

Since this is gonna be a street build, I wasn't planning on head work (porting, 5 angle valve job, or 3L valves and all), tho I was planning on gasket matching and all.

Will I need new:
    Valve springs?
    ​Timing gear?
    Valve guides?
    ​Do I need forged Pistons and Rods for a relatively mild street build?

​I already have MSDS headers, Weapon R y-pipe, and true Borla exhaust. Of course I'll replace the alternator while the motor is out. Prob a Clutchnet Stage 1 clutch. I believe it has the stock SVT clutch. Maybe grab a DMD.

​Any advice or expertise would be appreciated.

i would recommend checking the lifters. they have a spring inside a think. and some of them "squish" when you squeeze them with your fingers. i had 2 sets replaced all the loose ones and ive never had an idle valve tick after that.

i would recommend a port and polish. i max port and polished my heads and gained 22 tq and 17 hp. but i also upgraded to st220 manifolds at the same time.

and honestly i wouldnt recommend replacing the bearings. my 70k factory rod bearing had such minimal wear. i replaced them with clevite and spun a rod within like 10k.

thats kind of all the insight i can give you. i dont know how much money you want to spend or what your intentions are. its different for every situtation
    1999 Mercury Cougar Full 3.0L MTX

.... if you can find one;

a lightened flywheel makes the rev's much more snappy.

I put one on when I bought the DMD.... worked well.... took a couple of days to stop stalling the car at the lights ......G.
      ST24. LPG, 2001 ST200 motor, 65mm P&P'd TB, 80mm MAF, headers, lowered, sway bars and strut braces, 300/278mm brakes, 3.51 FD 3.0L tranny, Torsen, Fidanza.... Vortech nearly completed.

WANTED; Custom gauge guru for ST200 overlay job... pm me..