X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil on plug question

I'm doing a hybrid swap and would like to use the COP off my 06 escape 3L first can anyone post up a wiring diagram? Or does anyone make a plug and play harness?
    Second will the coil on plug system mount/seat properly with the stock SVT 2.5L valve covers?
    2014 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 8speed/Hemi
    1999 T-red/P-tan: In storage? borla catback, B&m shifter.
    2000 T-red/P-tan: self built 3L hybrid,Torsen T2, BAT kit. Sold
    2001 Cobra Oxford white: saleen crank, -4cc DSS pistons, Eagle rods, FR500 cam kit SOLD!

if you search around you will find a wiring diagram that was posted.

and no the cop will not mount to the stock 2.5L valve covers. if you want to use COP with the stock intake you need valve covers from a 01 3L. the later valve cover will not clear the stock intake.
    - 12 Focus SE
    - 95 Mystique LS <-sold
    - 99 Contour SE Sport <- traded in 2/13
    - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
    - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

Cool thanks for the info. I tried searching but it wasn't cooperating typed in "coil on plug diagram" I'll try again with some different keywords.
      2001 Cobra Oxford white: saleen crank, -4cc DSS pistons, Eagle rods, FR500 cam kit SOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by Cody4130 View Post
        Cool thanks for the info. I tried searching but it wasn't cooperating typed in "coil on plug diagram" I'll try again with some different keywords.

search = cop

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showth...&highlight=cop
        - 12 Focus SE
        - 95 Mystique LS <-sold
        - 99 Contour SE Sport <- traded in 2/13
        - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
        - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

That's what I was looking for thanks!
          So is the consensus this is basically an aesthetic mod with a chance of higher rpm misfire and interferance and COP in our application produces less spark energy than the stock coil and wires?

Comment

Double post... Stupid iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by Cody4130 View Post
              That's what I was looking for thanks!
              So is the consensus this is basically an aesthetic mod with a chance of higher rpm misfire and interferance and COP in our application produces less spark energy than the stock coil and wires?
              I dont like that wiring diagram for the COP setup. the OP states that our coil packs have 6 coils in them and that the pairs are wired in series. this is not correct. there is actually only 3 coils, and each coil fires 2 cylinders. as such, they are not series or parallel, just 3 separate coils.

this website shows a good picture of how the Ford coil pack is designed and its basic wiring.

http://rockledge.home.comcast.net/~r...y/DIS_EDIS.htm

ill include the picture separately but you should read through the site.
              TZT Performance http://www.tztperformance.com/
              officially a troll. '93 3000GT VR4 #2229/2595

'00 Black SVTC - sold 5/1/10
              '97 GL Turbo Zetec - gone

Comment

I'm against COP in 3L Contours. I'd love for someone to debate me.
                98.5 T Red SVT #4636/6535 ... SVT cam'd 3L Turbo

Owned 28 SVT's, looking for my 29th. Need SVT Parts? PM me!

PM me for engine/trans/suspension swaps, etc... 3 Liter Swaps done RIGHT!

Comment

Originally posted by Reebs View Post
                  I'm against COP in 3L Contours. I'd love for someone to debate me.
                  Don't want to debate, just wonder why you think that way?
                  I haven't looked into it much myself.
                  -J
                  '99 SVT Silver
                  Clean DD
                  '91 LX Bimini Blue
                  427"/88mm @ 16psi....yeah 4 digit power

Comment

yeah i guess ford got it wrong when they put them on there from the factory. my bad jsut seen you said on contours. But either way I havent seen a difference in mine

Comment

Originally posted by contour2gq View Post
                      yeah i guess ford got it wrong when they put them on there from the factory. my bad jsut seen you said on contours. But either way I havent seen a difference in mine
                      Yes, I did say on Contours. I am not against COP as it was factored into the design of new Ford vehicles and such. I actually think it is pretty neat in a car that it was engineered for from the start. There is ALOT more that goes into this than just slapping some wires together from a Contour and Taurus and sending it off to the PCM. I'll try to do a little write up in the near future about swapping COP in a Contour, and how it should be done correctly if someone really wants it. We're talking some serious work though.
                      98.5 T Red SVT #4636/6535 ... SVT cam'd 3L Turbo

Owned 28 SVT's, looking for my 29th. Need SVT Parts? PM me!

PM me for engine/trans/suspension swaps, etc... 3 Liter Swaps done RIGHT!

Comment

Hmmm don't see what could be so wrong with it seeing no one has had any issues

Comment

The proper way would be to use a taurus PCM in the contour and re-pin it accordingly. In the Taurus each COP has its own signal wire. The PCM has full control of each COP where as the Contour only has 3 signal leads to fire 6 cylinders, hence the waste-fire ignition system.

Or if the Contour PCM had the appropriate hardware you may be able to add 3 wires to the harness and have a tune that would turn on the additional 3 outputs. I need to look into this option still...
                          02 Cougar Sport - Full 3.0L/HMS Trans/Koni Suspension
                          07 Focus SE ZX3 - FRPP Suspension/Gunmetal E1's/AVIC Navigation/Hitch - The DD
                          97 F150 - Toy Hauler

Comment

So, after reading this thread and the previous COP thread more times than I would like to admit, I have concluded that it should be safe to attempt to wire the coils in parellel.

Here's my reasoning, and correct me if I'm wrong please. The main concern with this is that because you are firing two individual coils simultaneously the power draw would fry the PCM. The PCM doesn't provide power for the coil-pack, it comes from a fused source in the distribution box, if it's too much power you will pop the fuse. All the PCM sends is a signal to fire the coil.

My question is, does the PCM receive some kind of feedback from the coil/coil-pack when it fires?

I am just making sure I have as much information as possible before I do this conversion. I see potential issues running the system in series, or in parallel. I don't foresee an improvement large enough to warrant modification of the PCM, a wiring upgrade is about the extent of work I see being worthwhile with this mod. Afterall it really is mostly aesthetic.
                            2000 Silver SVT

Comment

Dude it's not a big deal. Do it. I done it. Tons of other people have done it an been driving on it over a year and dynotuned with it with no adverse effects.

Comment

Working...
                              X