• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

nice. ur setup will be a monstrosity! its just sad that our cars can't efficiently use all that power. 400+whp for a 13sec car? sad. how about getting goumba to build u an awd setup? got the cash for that:)?

What about grabbing the AWD setup out of a mondeo? Use the 6 speed tranny (beefed up of course), what would need to be replaced to make it work? Floor, gas tank, the whole rear end, a new way to route the exhaust?...but if money is no object and you want a one of a kind tour, there you go!

What about grabbing the AWD setup out of a mondeo? Use the 6 speed tranny (beefed up of course), what would need to be replaced to make it work? Floor, gas tank, the whole rear end, a new way to route the exhaust?...but if money is no object and you want a one of a kind tour, there you go!

Cause it is just that simple to do. Goumba has been working on his for a long while now. And he doesn't even know if it is going to work. LOT of custom fabricating is needed. And if I recall correctly the mondeo tranny won't work or it is stupid expensive to get here...you need the jag tranny that is much more common and you don't need it shipped from europe.

Are the axles you are going with the ones they say are "unbreakable"? If they are, and for the price you are about to pay, it will be a great thing.....if the splines go out like every other axle, I would go into a fit of rage. :laugh:

the bell housing pattern is different? would you be able to use a bell housing of an MTX75? or perhaps another tranny? what about the splines? and i remember someone saying something on my thread that the bulkhead needs to be smashed in to get it to fit?

Cause it is just that simple to do. Goumba has been working on his for a long while now. And he doesn't even know if it is going to work. LOT of custom fabricating is needed. And if I recall correctly the mondeo tranny won't work or it is stupid expensive to get here...you need the jag tranny that is much more common and you don't need it shipped from europe.

Are the axles you are going with the ones they say are "unbreakable"? If they are, and for the price you are about to pay, it will be a great thing.....if the splines go out like every other axle, I would go into a fit of rage. :laugh:

Yea those are the ones. They will carry the "if you break it, we replace it" warranty that they offer. However they have not been very good with returning phone calls or providing quotes. I do not want to send in my axles without seeing a quote. I don't want to get a bill for like $2k when everything is said and done. I actually just left the guy another message, so we'll see if anything comes of it....

and as I was typing this he called me. So here is the latest on that. They have been swapped he said (however this was the same story he gave me last time). He really thanked me for calling him back, he still has all my information and details and he told me that he is going out to SEMA tomorrow, but if I don't hear back from him by then he will definitely get back to me next week. As I did tell him if they can make a quality reliable product there will be more people interested for sure. He seemed genuinely excited about the project. So the saga with RCV performance continues :laugh:. As always stay tuned I'll update everyone as I obtain more information.

Too much work. I'd just get the gear set that Livin had for sale awhile ago, if he still has it.

If your going to touch the trans at all.

Edit: Don't use cop it sucks.

fastcougar built a 3L turbo... he had the power to wheelspin at 80mph !! From the trackday video he made and the things he posted, it seems like it was overheating (FMIC in front of the water radiator and a fan wiring fault) that caused his ring/compression problems.... a warning maybe to anyone making that much power to design a well thought out cooling setup ...G.

Trying not to cut any corners if I can avoid it. No sense in skimping now with the money I've dumped on the turbo and 3L.

As for the ST220 UIM, there is at least one other person sending in an ST220 manifold.

MAF = 90mm Lightning
Fuel Pump = 255lph pump
injectors = 42# Lightning injectors
TB = Mustang 70mm
Headers = keeping my WR SS headers
Cams = copying the Noble setup, which uses the ST220 cams (same as the 2005 Escape from what I can find talking with the UK guys)
Exhaust = Full SS all the way back, NPG turbo piping and Borla Cat-back, which has been on the car from day one.
Oil Pan = So far I'm just going to keep the Escape one, however I may try to get a Noble 7qt track pan if it'll fit.
Bearings = Clevite 77's
Tune = Probably NPG as I paid for it with the turbo kit, however I do have an Xcal3 and PRP if I want to venture in doing it myself.

Powdering coating... everything I can fit in my oven.

lol so your 400+ hp car is gonna be crapping out the little borla piping? you might wanna rethink that there mikey

With aftermarket conrods and/or aftermarket pistons you should budget for a crank re balance. Whenever these components are non stoc a rebalance must be done or vibration etc will kill the engine. Regards TH

With aftermarket conrods and/or aftermarket pistons you should budget for a crank re balance. Whenever these components are non stoc a rebalance must be done or vibration etc will kill the engine. Regards TH

Actually that was already in the plan Terry. I know a guy that runs a top notch machine shop who builds amazing motors for some of my mechanic friends at work who drag race and run circle track. Once I decide on everything I'm going to tear the motor down, clean everything up and bring this guy everything to balance the rotating assembly.

Have you thought about just blueprinting the 3.0? I think you would see killer power with a blueprinted one.

what gears did he have?

I'm guessing he had a set of the gears that Quaife builds for our MTX75... very spendy, linky. Convert that to USD and it'll cost you $2,638.84 not including shipping to the US.

If I blow my tranny down the line, that is what I most likely will go with.

Subscribing :cool:
Actually that was already in the plan Terry. I know a guy that runs a top notch machine shop who builds amazing motors for some of my mechanic friends at work who drag race and run circle track. Once I decide on everything I'm going to tear the motor down, clean everything up and bring this guy everything to balance the rotating assembly.
If they are an excellent shop and your ordering custom parts, it may be of benefit to discuss it with them.
If you can design the bobweight of the rotating assembly together, it can help balancing cost.
I would definitely discuss it with them before you order, they may even get better prices as a shop than you can on your own.
BTW, I have custom Diamond pistons now (Weisco before), I'd recommend either, but Diamond more based on actually dealing with them direct.
For a serious turbo build, use the upgraded wrist pins (tool steel) and better rings (Hellfire)--I can give you a contact I ordered the Diamonds from.
Good luck man.
-J

For a serious turbo build, use the upgraded wrist pins (tool steel) and better rings (Hellfire)--I can give you a contact I ordered the Diamonds from.
Good luck man.
-J

Yup. I discussed wrist pins with Ross Pistons when I talked to them about ordering custom pistons. For $25 a piece for the upgraded wrist pins it's good insurance.

If you don't mind please do PM me that contact info.

Anyone who's ever but a motor knows you always have the " rotating assembly" ballanced no matter what kind of motor it is

Anyone who's ever but a motor knows you always have the " rotating assembly" ballanced no matter what kind of motor it is
Yeah, no , I'm talking about bobweight (you know, the thing you use when balancing) and how he can save some money/difficulty in balancing when he orders CUSTOM piston/rods.
-J

Back