• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
EDIT:

Alright this is my attempt to summarize to date what has gone on and build a Table of Contents so to speak out of a 'Build Spec' list. I will come back to this point periodically to update this section so that everyone can have one place to go to answer their questions hopefully.

Engine
05 Ford Escape 3L Short Block - modified to have oil squirters Post#526, Page 14
K1 Technologies Rods - Post#130, page 4
Diamond Racing Pistons (~9.6:1) - Post#371, Page 10
2005 Escape 3L Cylinder Heads - Stage II, BPE Racing Heads Post#648, Page 17
Mountune Valve Springs - Post#667, Page 17
Mountune Cams - Post#704, Page 18
PowerSeal Lifters - Post#772, Page 20
05 Mondeo ST220 UIM - Post#41, Page 2
05 Escape LIM
SCT Big Bore 90mm BA-2400 MAF
BBK 75mm Throttle Body - Post#1452, Page 37

Fuel System
05 Escape Fuel Rail - Link to thread on brazing fuel rail
Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors ID1000.60.14
Aeromotive 13101 A1000 Fuel Pressure Regulator
Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump
Aeromotive 100 micron stainless steel mess pre-filter
Aeromotive 40 micron stainless steel mess after filter
Aluminum anodized sump on OEM tank
AN-10 supply line to pump
AN-8 supply line to regulator and fuel rail
AN-6 return line
Hard lines for fuel are T316 stainless steel with stainless steel sleeves and tube nuts
Flex lines are PTFE stainless steel braided

Ignition
Accel Super Coil w/MSD DIS 4 - Post #189, Page 5
Talyor 8.2mm Thundervolt Wires

Exhaust
WeaponR Stainless Steel Headers
Borla Stainless Steel Cat-back - modified to have 3" pipe from down pipe to muffler split
Porsche GT3 Quad stainless steel tips - Post#74, Page 2

Turbocharger Setup
NPG Racing kit - Will be only using portions of it
Turbocharger - Garret A/R .63
Intercooler - Still investigating air-air or water-air
HKS EVC6 Mappable Boost Controller - Post #166, page 5

Transmission
2002 Mercury Cougar MTX-75 - Built by HMS
3.54 08 Focus Final Drive
Upgraded Ford Shift Forks
Keyed HMS Contour Shift Tower
Torsen T2 ATB differential
ClutchNet 6 puck clutch disk
ClutchNet Red Pressure Plate
Ford TOB
DSS Level 3.9 Axle & Hub kit - Post#980, Page 25

Interior
Mondeo Trip Computer - Post#308, Page 8
Corbeau FX1 Pro Seats
Lotek triple gauge pod with faze gauges
Innovate Motorsports LC-1 wideband gauge

Exterior
HoK Shimrin Designer Pearl - Trublue, Post#1053, Page 27, Repaint - Post#1177, Page 30
RP Carbon Fiber Hood
RP Carbon Fiber Pre98 Trunk
Carbon Fiber roof overlay
RP projector head lights
RP projector tail lights

Brakes
Baer Track-Plus brake kit - 330mm cross drilled and slotted rotors w/ dual piston calipers
NPG Rear adaptor kit - 278mm cross drilled and slotted rotors w/ single piston OEM rear calipers
stainless steel braided lines

Suspension
BAT Euro struts/springs
RP RSTB
RP FSTB
RP Traction Bars
PRT Rear Fore LCA - Post#1591, Page 40
PRT Rear Aft LCA - Post#1591, Page 40
ADDCO Rear Sway Bar - Post#1321, Page 34

Wheels/Tires
SSW Trex 17x7 wheels
BF Goodrich G-Force KDW 225/45/ZR17 - Street
Nitto NT01 tires 235/40/ZR17 - Track

Misc Parts, which will not be used
Mondeo ST220 LIM - Dimensionally the same as Escape LIM, but made of aluminum, will hold in more heat may change mind if more air flow is needed as this could be ported. Post#286, Page 8

Misc Part/Tool Pics
Fel-Pro Gasket Sets - Post #442, Page 12
Specialty tools for piston/rod/crank assembly - Post#443, Page 12
Ford Rotunda Kits - Post#497, Page 13
Roll of Carbon Fiber - Post#513, Page 13

Build Progress:
Exterior Tear Down - Post#263, Page 7
Engine Pull - Perfectly running SVT 2.5L sent to stand Post#350, Page 9 & Post#408, Page 11
Interior Gutted - Post#381, Page 10
Piston & Rod Assembly - Post#448, Page 12
Cylinder Head Disassembly - Post#500, Page 13
Cylinder Head Cleaning/Bead Blasting - Post#532, Page 14
Cylinder Head Flow Chart - Post#612, Page 16
Cam Discussions - Post#641, Page 17
Cylinder Head Assembly - Post#736, Page 19
Roll Resistor Prep Work - Post#767, Page 20
Paint Arrival - Post#783, Page 20
Engine Bay Cleared - Post#788, Page 20
Fuel pump removal and comparison of OEM and Aeromotive Stealth pumps - Post#973, Page 25
Paint prep begins - Post#892, page 23
Paint prep and sealer work - Post#994, page 25

-------------------------------------------------------------

So as some of you know I recently bought one of NPG's turbo kits and I have now decided to install a 3L as well at the same time. This thread will serve as my build thread with pictures of the entire process from the tear down of the car and the teardown/build/install of the 3L and turbo kit. Here is the build plan and the starting pictures.

2005 Ford Escape 3.0L Duratec, 43k miles, compression test of 207psi
-parts to be ordered/installed (as of right now, investigating options with Scat, Wiseco, and ROSS)
K1 rods
Diamond Racing Pistons
4.6L valves
-parts on order
waiting for my ST220 UIM to arrive from the UK and then it's being sent out for EH

20053lescape110109.jpg

Also for those interested all of my original parts will be for sale (since there is nothing wrong with my current 2.5L) at some point in the classifieds. I will also post in here as parts become available.

Last edited:
i cant wait to follow this build. what are you doing to beef up your tranny, clutch, and diff? yeah, like he said, hurry up and build! (with pictures of course) :)

Cant wait to see this. Please document the engine being opened and what you are doing to swap parts. I am going to do the same but havent had the chance or the money to do this yet!

- amyn

i cant wait to follow this build. what are you doing to beef up your tranny, clutch, and diff? yeah, like he said, hurry up and build! (with pictures of course) :)

Well the first thing I did when I bought this car was upgrade the tranny. I had a how-to a long time ago in the archives. Although I may have to revisit it. I have the updated shift forks, Focus shift tower, Torsen T2 diff running Torco MTF. For the clutch (clearly you missed my GB) I am running a ClutchNet red pressure plate and 6 button disc, which is their stage 3 package. I also have a Fidanza flywheel, but I am unsure as to whether I will be running it or not. Bottom-line I think a call into TH is in order to see what he thinks.

You want to sell that upper intake?

All parts that I do not use or old performance parts that I will not be able to use will be sold. Right now I know off the top of my head that my stainless steel Trubendz test pipe with the SS O2 bung, WeaponR y-pipe, and Taylor Thundervolt 8.2mm wires will be for sale at some point. Along with possibly chrome powder coated SVT UIM/TB and my T-red powder coated valve covers.

this is going to cost you so much money mike. lol. bad decision.

Yea well, gotta have my toys. I weighed my options of buying the 911 turbo and the Viper and this will still be cheaper then buying either by a long shot. I think I'll have way more fun with this too personally. I plan to finish my Camaro after this as well, but I chose the Contour first because it's newer and not rusted.

So updates:

I want to get the best bang for my buck so I've been poking around to find what suppliers can offer. So far I have had limited success with emails. Only K1 Technlogies has replied. So I've begun calling everyone. However here is what I have received so far...

Rods
K1 Technologies - billet 4340 H-beam rods, $617.28 + ~$15 shipping
Scat - Does not show anything in there system, but after prying with the guy on the phone about AER buying rods for the Nobles from them he found a mystery rod for a V6 that they purchase. The guy that deals with them is out until next week. He had no idea what he could sell them to me for either.
Pauter Machine - Still makes the rods the old part number (FOR-210-530-1380F) is still valid and even more amazing is the fact that they stock them. However even with the special they are running till the end of the month the rods are still $1188.00

Pistons
Diamond Pistons - No replies yet, they were closed when I got out of work. NPG sells them in a kit for $899.95
Wiseco - Custom pistons guy is out of the office
Ross Pistons - Custom piston forged and dished will run me $660 for the pistons. Upgrading the wrist pins adds another $150

stay away from K1 rods IMO. quality control is scarce i've heard

I remember you told me that before... but where did you hear that from? I can't imagine it is to bad as Wiseco advertises for them on their own website.

Sounds like you aren't cutting any corners on this one!:drool:
So you are going to EH your ST220 UIM, has anyone done this before?
Obviously your upgrading your MAF, fuel pump, and injectors?
What TB, headers, cams, exhaust, oil pan, bearings, and tune are you going with?
Is anything getting powder coated?

Looks like a great build!!

Sounds like you aren't cutting any corners on this one!:drool:
So you are going to EH your ST220 UIM, has anyone done this before?
Obviously your upgrading your MAF, fuel pump, and injectors?
What TB, headers, cams, exhaust, oil pan, bearings, and tune are you going with?
Is anything getting powder coated?

Looks like a great build!!

Trying not to cut any corners if I can avoid it. No sense in skimping now with the money I've dumped on the turbo and 3L.

As for the ST220 UIM, there is at least one other person sending in an ST220 manifold.

MAF = 90mm Lightning
Fuel Pump = 255lph pump
injectors = 42# Lightning injectors
TB = Mustang 70mm
Headers = keeping my WR SS headers
Cams = copying the Noble setup, which uses the ST220 cams (same as the 2005 Escape from what I can find talking with the UK guys)
Exhaust = Full SS all the way back, NPG turbo piping and Borla Cat-back, which has been on the car from day one.
Oil Pan = So far I'm just going to keep the Escape one, however I may try to get a Noble 7qt track pan if it'll fit.
Bearings = Clevite 77's
Tune = Probably NPG as I paid for it with the turbo kit, however I do have an Xcal3 and PRP if I want to venture in doing it myself.

Powdering coating... everything I can fit in my oven.

Nice! Can't wait to see it!

Also I might be interested in the test pipe you said you will have for sale. Is it the high flow cat or cat delete?

Mike, your borla is going to be a HUGE bottleneck in your system.

If you like the sound (which i sure do of my borla :dool: )I might get a exhaust shop to make a 3" from the Turbo... manifold...downpipe thingy... Add a resonator and have them 'Tee' into rear part of borla where it splits.

That what i would do.

nice. ur setup will be a monstrosity! its just sad that our cars can't efficiently use all that power. 400+whp for a 13sec car? sad. how about getting goumba to build u an awd setup? got the cash for that:)?

Mike, your borla is going to be a HUGE bottleneck in your system.

If you like the sound (which i sure do of my borla :dool: )I might get a exhaust shop to make a 3" from the Turbo... manifold...downpipe thingy... Add a resonator and have them 'Tee' into rear part of borla where it splits.

That what i would do.

Yes I do love the sound of my Borla system and it fits very nicely too, which is why I have been hesitant to go to a SS system from Trubendz. I wonder if I gave Borla a call what they would say... well theres one more company to give a phone call too :crazy:

given the money and the right parts you can put it donw. If a neon can and a civic can why cant a contour. Im tired of people saying you cant EFFECTIVLY put down that power. WHos REALLY tried?

given the money and the right parts you can put it donw. If a neon can and a civic can why cant a contour. Im tired of people saying you cant EFFECTIVLY put down that power. WHos REALLY tried?

Ok. Find us some axles that won't snap of strip out the splines!!!!! Before you start talking, how about you REALLY try to do some research about the situation.

Back