• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0???

goat4505

New CEG'er
Can u use a 3.0 12 valve engine or does it have to be a 3.0 24 valve engine? And if it will work is every thing a direct bolt up or is there a lot
of mods needed. E.G. Exhust bot up fine asscesorys so on and so forth. I know this is the millionith time this has been asked. I'm just worried about jumping into doing a swap and finding it's going to cost an arm and a leg. I blew the engine in my 98 contour svt today. Thanks any help. Goat.

im sure it would work, but ytf would you wanna go backwards? lol\

go for the dohc and be happier with the power.

your gonna spend a good amount of cash no matter wut way you go, so go get your self a dohc engine :) just my $0.02

the 12V "Vulcan" wont even bolt up to the trans. as was said, why would you want to go backwards anyways?

depending on the year the vulcans only had between 140 and 160 horses, the one good thing they had going for them is torque. my '92 sable with the 3.0 vulcan had 140hp and 200 or 205ftlbs of torque.

sure, but the 3L Duratec has 200HP and 200ftlbs of torque. why would you ever even think about using the Vulcan in this case.

no i agree. if i was going to do a swap and it was going to involve a v6 in a contour i would use the duratec. the vulcan while a great engine is just another OHV boat anchor.

FWIW, the Vulcan engine should bolt up to a Zetec MTX75 as the Vulacan uses the same bellhousing pattern as most of Fords 4 cylinders.

Its going to cost you about 1.5-2k all up if you do the work yourself to go with a 3L duratec and don't need to buy any tools. You can pick up the engine for 3-400 bucks.
As has been said, if you are looking for a cheap fix forget anything but a direct swap (2.5 or 3L).

Back