• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anybody heard of problems with 255lph Walbro fuel pumps???

rcksvtcontour

CEG'er
Troy/Lansing/Commerce Township, MI/Sacramento, CA
The wires coming from the fuel sending unit in the tank are all bubbly like its drawing to much current. Been having problems starting it would crank and crank and crank then start after I wiggled the wires to the fuel pump. I can get some pics up of the wires but was just seeing what other peoples thoughts or comments are about this subject.
Thanks,
Robb

Yup those pumps take more power to make more power and those 16/18g wires can't handle it . Easiest way to do this is run a hardwire off your battery right to the pump, fuse it at 30 amps, have that go to a relay (30) and the have (87) go to the pump, then cut the old fuel pump positive and negative wires and use those to trigger the relay aka 85 and 86, doesn't matter which one with the trigger. It might also be a good time to relocate your battery, if you're so inclined, as it makes running the new wire a breeze.

It sounds like your wires are probably bare and dead shorting cause the pump to shut off randomly.

The only reason wire sheething bubbles is poor connections, or as 2000zxt said an intermittent wire issue. If it was a short then it would have popped a fuse. The wires are sufficient to run the pump, not optimal however. A pump that is failing will cause excess resistance but my guess is the power wire is not making good contact.

Alright thanks for the input thats generally what I had thought was the problem also and yes the battery is already relocated to trunk thats a good idea about the relay Ill look into it so I just run the same gauge wire that comes with walbro fuel sending unit and i run that all the way from battery positive to fuse to relay then to the fuel pump connector pin then on the tank side connector i run the same gauge from connector pin to fuel sending unit positive and negative? I will def. try this and keep you updated.

another question is what other upgraded aftermarket fuel pump Brands are people using for forced induction and high horsepower applications?
Brand??? Part number???

I'm using the Ford GT pump (265 lph), don't know the part number off hand though. I think most others are using the SVT Focus pump, or the Walbro 255 pump.

I'm using the Ford GT pump (265 lph), don't know the part number off hand though. I think most others are using the SVT Focus pump (which isn't any different from a regular 03-04 Focus Zetec pump and is only a 155LPH pump), or the Walbro 255 pump.

Fixed. :laugh:

I'm using the Ford GT pump (265 lph), don't know the part number off hand though. I think most others are using the SVT Focus pump, or the Walbro 255 pump.

You know I'd still like to see pictures of that pump and the installation... assuming you took some of it. However I suppose I can't use it since I'm running a 98 return style system... but please prove me wrong ;)

You know I'd still like to see pictures of that pump and the installation... assuming you took some of it. However I suppose I can't use it since I'm running a 98 return style system... but please prove me wrong ;)

I might have a few pictures around, I'll look later. If not I need to take it back out anyways to fix a broken fuel level sender, I could take pics then.

Why couldnt you use the pump? Do they design the pumps differently based on the system they are going in? Have you thought about an inline pump?

return style pumps are designed to run at full voltage 100% of the time, while returnless pumps are designed to handle a modulated voltage to maintain the proper pressure.

fuelpump4.jpg

fuelpump3.jpg

fuelpump2.jpg

fuelpump1.jpg

Fuelpump.jpg

fuelpump5.jpg

you can see the connector has some melting issues and the wires are all bubbly to a certain poiint then glossy like new. the black negative wire I cracked the sheething to see the inside of the wire was crispy or not

Hit up the junk yard for a return Contour/Cougar/Mystique and get a new harness (pump to pump housing) so you don't have to deal with the melted connectors and wiring. Definately looks like the pump was pulling too much current. Make sure you have a good ground on the wire that comes out of the tank.

Back