• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

No oil in Catch Can after 300miles

Interesting...I probably woulda gone this route first had i not completed my setup. The hoses under the hood aren't that overwhelming to me, so i think i'll leave mine as is. I rarely drive the thing anyway. So emptying the can post weekend driving is manageable

I agree.

I am surprised by the low blow by since I have loose clearances in the pistons. I figured I would puke out a bunch considering how noisy it is when cold.

I agree.

I am surprised by the low blow by since I have loose clearances in the pistons. I figured I would puke out a bunch considering how noisy it is when cold.
I'm not sure what ur machinist did as far as cylinder bore size, but mine stayed stock(.3504), and there's quite a bit of blowby. i imagine you broke yours in properly, so it shouldn't be that much diff from mine. Like i said, after ~100miles of driving per weekend, i have to empty the 1 ounce catch can.

Think you meant 3.504...

I broke it in alright. After about 10 miles I beat the crap out of it to seat the rings. I have no blow by, nothing in the catch can which concerns me. Old motor puked a bunch.

I have another turbo with coolant lines that is being rebuilt, current one leaks oil into exhaust. When I take it out I will route the breather lines slightly different, check compression and leak down. My piston clearance was .0055, which is quite high for a street car. Loose is fast but usually comes at a price of blow by and increased engine noise especially when cold. Nothing points to a problem, vacuum is 18" at idle which is very good and tells me the motor is sealed up well.

Right. That's what i meant. My mistake.That's exactly how i broke mine in as well. 10 miles of gentle driving & breaking loose all hell. lol. Do you also get the yellow nasty stuff in yours? In your can i mean...

Yellow nasty stuff used to be in the tubing to the low pressure side of the turbo on the old motor. I have almost zero stuff in the line on the new one.

The yellow nasty stuff happens more often if the motor isn't warmed up enough before being shut off. Mine is driven 25 miles just to get into town, plus a few miles to get on and off the entrance ramps to the highway ( even though they aren't my exit :laugh: ).

I am going to hook up a pressure gauge on the valve cover to measure it, I don't think there is a problem but I need to make sure. It runs so much better than the old motor, so much torque at 3800 - 5500 that it begs to be driven hard. Still got 22 mpg highway and city combined.

Right. That's what i meant. My mistake.That's exactly how i broke mine in as well. 10 miles of gentle driving & breaking loose all hell. lol. Do you also get the yellow nasty stuff in yours? In your can i mean...

I get the Yellow goop in the winter when the oil doesn't get as warm apparently, I think it's water that gets caught in the separator. During the summer when the oil runs warmer, I think the water goes past the separator and gets consumed in the engine, I never see the goop in the summer.
http://contour.org/ceg-vb/forum/eng...parator-in-the-pcv-line?p=1309565#post1309565

Back