• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Alternator choices

larsofvt

CEG'er
Well After 18 years my alternator has to come out. The front half of the housing has a crack so a self rebuild may not be an option.
Any recommended sources for a solid replacement? Some parts stores don't list new alternators any more (only rebuilt ones).
I have heard some of the rebuilt alternators don't last. I'd prefer not to spend $220 for a new one.

98 Mystique LS MTX

Really not much choice out there. Spend the money on one from Ford. Otherwise make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty as you will be replacing it again.

The V6 Contour/Mystique alternator is a 3G large case, these guys do quality rebuilds at stock amps output and output upgrades if you have a trunk full of stereo equipment.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item_492/Ford-Contour.htm

A good rebuild is dis-assembly, cleaning, turning the field slip rings, new bearings, new brushes, new regulator, testing the diode pack and finally, a running load test. I'd rather do a rebuild than wonder where the parts came from and if anything really got replaced in the typical VatoZone Chinese rebuild, even with a lifetime replacement warranty. It's still a pain in the ass getting under there to replace the "lifetime warranty" unit every year.

The V6 Contour/Mystique alternator is a 3G large case, these guys do quality rebuilds at stock amps output and output upgrades if you have a trunk full of stereo equipment.
Sorry for the delay, I posted this Dec 4, but apparently posts with a URL need mod approval? I see it finally posted to the thread on Dec 9.

Thanks, Since my original was cracked I went with a new one from RockAuto. Not Motorcraft but should be better than a rebuilt.

Back