• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine tick/knocking noise

Update: The car made the 500 mile trip home from vacation yesterday. The noise does not seem to be any worse. A good friend with lots of mechanical wisdom was looking at the engine with me and said it did not sound so bad. He said it kind of sounded like the noise was coming from the bottom end but could not really tell. He said it could be anything. The car still pulls really hard and drives well. There is some hesitation down low sometime though, but that could be an O2 sensor. I still can't figure out this knock!

In this engine rod knock does not sounds like its from the bottom end. It sounds like its from the top dead center of the engine.

Hopefully you figure out what the problem is and it turns out to be not that big of a deal. I'm happy to hear you made it home trekking almost 15 hours of driving since you picked it up at my place! Good luck with it, and fingers crossed. Nice to meet you too.

I tried the spark plug trick where I thought the knock may be, and there was no change in noise. The noise is definitely coming from the left side of the engine bay though. I feel like if the rod was knocking it would have surely had catastrophic failure by now. I have not taken any belts off of the engine yet, and I just cannot figure out the noise. My friend and I both agreed that if it was some rod knock, it was pretty mellow rod knock lol. It was nice to meet you as well Joe, your 3L contour is one slick looking ride.

I also took off the accessory belt and could still hear knocking noises. Some of the pulleys had some play, but the knock was still there with no belt on, so I have to assume the worst. There could be something in the valve train, but I cannot tell. I have been driving the car everyday, and I rev it out a bit sometimes. The noise doesn't really seem to be getting any worse, and I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Yes check your power steering pump they sometimes will make "knock" like sounds... also ake sure the Diff in the car is sound... it could be a flywheel ur hearing

My diff b4 it died is making all kinds of odd sounds that sound very close to faint rod knock..

I changed the oil today and I didn't see any metal shavings. Still making the same noises. I checked the pulleys and ran the car with the belt off and the noise was still there. The car sometimes sputters a little low down. I don't know what the signs of diff failure are, but I don't think it is the dif.

Its been identified that the noise is heard while parked at idle right? If that is the case is not the diff. Typical diff failure is indicated by "kick back" or a snap and release felt through the floor or the steering wheel. And at that point its just a matter of time before the diff sees open again ....

I definitely feel like it is timing chain related. I have some of the symptoms of potential timing chain issues, and if it was a rod it surely would have gone by now because I have hauled in that car lol. Trying to do an Italian tuneup. I may try to open the timing cover and have a look inside.

This is going to be really stupid.. but are you running at-least Premium fuel in it? im only saying this because that would explain the cars falling on its face down low - and having a "knock sound" pre/late detonation.. just throwing that out there..

Or if its such a low mileage car maybe its the dreaded water-pump issue. although I would think it would have grenaded your engine by now..

Well guys, I have been driving #29 a lot with the noise it has. It still does not seem to be getting any worse. I drove it from Cincinnati to Cleveland no problem and have been driving it up there for work. I feel like it definitely is not rod knock now, but rather something in the upper end or timing chain. I also fixed 2 snapped vac lines, which greatly helped the running and performance of the car lol. Any suggestions guys? I am hesitant to 3L swap since I want to keep her all original. Any idea how much a motor rebuild is?

Well guys, I have been driving #29 a lot with the noise it has. It still does not seem to be getting any worse. I drove it from Cincinnati to Cleveland no problem and have been driving it up there for work. I feel like it definitely is not rod knock now, but rather something in the upper end or timing chain. I also fixed 2 snapped vac lines, which greatly helped the running and performance of the car lol. Any suggestions guys? I am hesitant to 3L swap since I want to keep her all original. Any idea how much a motor rebuild is?

To rebuild the existing motor with new rods ( which you will need regardless ) with labor is $2500 - $3500 my guess.

Replace with a 3.0 probably $500 - $800 plus labor, which will be far less than a total rebuild.

Jeez, what makes a rebuild so darn expensive!? If I were to do all the work myself besides some of the machining, would it really cost that much?

Jeez, what makes a rebuild so darn expensive!? If I were to do all the work myself besides some of the machining, would it really cost that much?

No, how much of this can you tackle? If you can do the work the rods are $650, bearings and gaskets $450, not sure what piston rings cost right now since mine came with the pistons. Probably needs new chain and tensioners which are around $200.

I know some people with the machines necessary, so I will have to look into it further. I appreciate the information. That will help immensely when it comes to rebuild vs replace.

Back