X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had my waterpump housing go on me like that.

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=1776

I have some good pics on the second page
    98 Contour GL Sport, T-Red,

MODS:
    Koni kit, CAI, Ford wires, strut bar, Tenzo R 17's, Relocated battery, Blacked tails, B&M, TRIPLE HID'S
    STEREO:
    PG RSd1200.1, PG RSd500.4, 2x PG RSd12D, 4x Kicker 5x9, Clarion in-dash with GPS Nav

Comment

Interesting reading guys especially when all our ST owners are told to check their water pumps for the plastic type BUT now I read from 1995 onwards we need not worry.
      ST200 Imperial Blue,American cougar Alloys,300mm brake conversion,SS decat zorst,black eye headlights with eye brows.
      www.stownersclub.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bobster View Post
        Interesting reading guys especially when all our ST owners are told to check their water pumps for the plastic type BUT now I read from 1995 onwards we need not worry.
        Where did you read that? The switch from the black impeller pump that is prone to breakage, to the white impeller pump that is not prone to breakage was somewhere around late 1999 I believe. But 1998 and earlier cars definately had the black impeller water pump.
        rarasvt@comcast.net

Comment

My early 98 (built 4/97) had a white impeller. I replaced the pump for drill, not because it failed. To my surprise I had a loose restrictor plate.
          Jim Johnson
          98 SVT
          03 Escape Limited
          10 Fusion Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Rara View Post
            Where did you read that? The switch from the black impeller pump that is prone to breakage, to the white impeller pump that is not prone to breakage was somewhere around late 1999 I believe. But 1998 and earlier cars definately had the black impeller water pump.
            Soz misread a post earlier which refered to timing chain tensioners on this thread. I`ll be more vigilant in what I`m reading in future.

BTW my 2000 ST200 had the plastic impeller.
            ST200 Imperial Blue,American cougar Alloys,300mm brake conversion,SS decat zorst,black eye headlights with eye brows.
            www.stownersclub.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bobster View Post
              BTW my 2000 ST200 had the plastic impeller.
              All production duratec water pump impellers are plastic, only the aftermarket ones are metal. The white plastic ones are the ones prone to breakage though, the black plastic ones are much more durable. My 2000 SVT (same engine as the ST200) came with the black impeller pump. The 98 SVT I owned for a few weeks had a broken white impeller pump.
              rarasvt@comcast.net

Comment

my 2000 had a white impeller pump. i was replacing it as precaution, only to have the housing fail within 100 miles.
                ~Alex

"They think I'm Mexican..."

formerly known as SVT Driver627

00 Green CSVT - sold 2/17/06
                98 3L CSVT #574 Silfro - Sold
                98 SE 2.5 MTX - Totaled
                97 Ranger lay'd out

03 ? vroom-pshh

AnastasiaRae87: pwned by an asian.

LOSRE'S UNITE!!!!!!

Comment

All production duratec water pump impellers are plastic, only the aftermarket ones are metal. The white plastic ones are the ones prone to breakage though, the black plastic ones are much more durable. My 2000 SVT (same engine as the ST200) came with the black impeller pump. The 98 SVT I owned for a few weeks had a broken white impeller pump.
                  That is the opposite of everything I have read on this subject. The black plastic impellers are the ones that are breaking, not the revised white plastic impellers on later cars. In fact your earlier post stated:

The switch from the black impeller pump that is prone to breakage, to the white impeller pump that is not prone to breakage was somewhere around late 1999 I believe.
                  I say this not to rag on you but to ensure that nobody reads the last post and gets confused.
                  Last edited by SoopaCooga; 11-14-2007, 02:23 PM.
                  FREE SHIPPING on Redline Goods Leather Products!

Comment

Originally posted by The Five-Oh! View Post
                    my 2000 had a white impeller pump. i was replacing it as precaution, only to have the housing fail within 100 miles.
                    I'm in the same boat. Although I didn't need to replace the w/p, I did so as a precaution on my 3L. Now I appear to have a leak from the housing. :\

Comment

Originally posted by SoopaCooga View Post
                      That is the opposite of everything I have read on this subject. The black plastic impellers are the ones that are breaking, not the revised white plastic impellers on later cars. In fact your earlier post stated:

I say this not to rag on you but to ensure that nobody reads the last post and gets confused.
                      Yeah, I got myself all twisted up somehow and stated it backwards. My apologies.
                      rarasvt@comcast.net

Comment

stop being stupid rara.
                        ~Alex

"They think I'm Mexican..."

formerly known as SVT Driver627

00 Green CSVT - sold 2/17/06
                        98 3L CSVT #574 Silfro - Sold
                        98 SE 2.5 MTX - Totaled
                        97 Ranger lay'd out

03 ? vroom-pshh

AnastasiaRae87: pwned by an asian.

LOSRE'S UNITE!!!!!!

Comment

For any poor soul that ends up needing the entire assembly, here is the part number from Bill... xs2z8501ea

Trust me, it's easier to just buy the whole thing rather than installing and uninstalling the old one a bunch of times to trying get it to stop leaking, only to find that the fluid has been leaking from the weap hole the entire time and it's worn or there is a bad seal somewhere in there.

I bought a new gasket thinking that would fix it... nope.. just wasted my time (and aggrivated my temper) putting it back in and having to take it back out again. It's those damn pinch clamps that get me... hard to get at. And the one closest to the front on the top doesn't like to fit past the other one behind it.... grrrrrrr. If you have done it, you know exactly what I'm talking about

Comment

Originally posted by Damien View Post
                            .... It's those damn pinch clamps that get me... hard to get at. ...
                            . Every time I take out a pinch clamp, I replace it with a worm clamp. Less stress!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony2005 View Post
                              . Every time I take out a pinch clamp, I replace it with a worm clamp. Less stress!
                              x2

Much less. I believe they're also more secure since the spring type weakens with age.
                              ~Ben~
                              99 SilFro SVT 2072 4/27/99 prepped track rat

Comment

Be careful those worm clamps can cut into the hose! I had one cut right through an oil line.

Comment

Working...
                                X