Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump Restrictor Plate

Well,
    After 115K miles, I'm finally replacing my water pump. I've never had a cooling problem. Well I've got a surprise. Has anyone ever seen a removeable restrictor plate.

Any feeback would be great, I've never seen this peice before.

Thanks,
    -Andy
    Last edited by Andy W.; 12-01-2006, 06:08 PM.
    Andy W.
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity,
    but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Uh, hmm, well, uh, I don't know where he's not. It wouldn’t be inaccurate to assume that I couldn’t exactly not say that it is or isn’t almost partially incorrect. Oh, on the contrary. I'm possibly more or less not definitely rejecting the idea that in no way with any amount of uncertainty that I undeniably do or do not know where he shouldn’t probably be, if that indeed wasn’t where he isn’t. Even if he wasn’t at where I knew he was, that’d mean I’d really have to know where he wasn't.

The pic doesn't load. If it's what i think it is, it is not supposed to be removable, that's what i thought, a week later my car overheated. Replace the housing.
    ~Alex

"They think I'm Mexican..."

formerly known as SVT Driver627

00 Green CSVT - sold 2/17/06
    98 3L CSVT #574 Silfro - Sold
    98 SE 2.5 MTX - Totaled
    97 Ranger lay'd out

03 ? vroom-pshh

AnastasiaRae87: pwned by an asian.

LOSRE'S UNITE!!!!!!

Comment

Heh.. yeah, it's pressed in and shouldn't move. I had a swirling/rattling sound coming from my w/p. I figured it was the reducer cone... and it had sliced up the housing pretty good. The full kit (w/p, housing, both big hoses) isn't that much... like $70 or so from Bill J. It was actually cheaper than any place near by, just for the w/p.
      morbid
      2011 Edge SEL AWD (black) - daily driver
      2000 Contour SVT (black); #61 (Sept 17, 1999)
      3L with ADC turbo kit; 325hp / 338tq @ 7psi
      car is down with a broken tranny

Comment

Ya, I don't think that thing should be removable. I believe that Jim (Big Jim) commented on this issue on the old forums.

I replaced my water pump this summer (thought it was the black plastic, but found out it was white) and that piece could be wiggled a little, but was secure in the housing.

EDIT: Morbid got to it first, but ya, the Bill J deal is a good one, the hoses and the full sealed housing for like $70ish, and ridiculously fast shipping as usual.
        Last edited by amarv12; 12-01-2006, 10:53 PM.
        *2004 Pontiac GTO
        *2005 Saturn Vue
        *1998 Mystique LS:
        =Gone but not forgotten=

Comment

Yes, that's how I found mine when I changed it a long time ago. It had about 80,000 miles on it and it has 222,000 miles on it now.

I was trying to change only the rear part with the impeller, pulley, and bearing only without changing the entire pump. I bought the entire pump, but was trying to take a shortcut. When I pulled the old pump apart, the stainless steel ring fell out.

The plate is held in place by staking the housing, expanding the housing metal against the plate, holding it tightly. I felt that I did not have good access to stake it back in place with a punch or chisel withpout removing the housing. Since that would require removing the housing from the car, I just went ahead and installed the new one instead.

Look at the inside of the housing and the see for yourself. You may feel that you can stake the plate back in without removing it from the car.

I have had no waterpump trouble since replacing it.
          Jim Johnson
          98 SVT
          03 Escape Limited
          10 Fusion Sport

Comment

Thanks all,
            I'll be pulling the housing out tomorrow and seeing if it can be presed back in. If not I'll be calling around to Ford's in the morning.

Thanks all,
            -Andy
            Andy W.
            but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Uh, hmm, well, uh, I don't know where he's not. It wouldn’t be inaccurate to assume that I couldn’t exactly not say that it is or isn’t almost partially incorrect. Oh, on the contrary. I'm possibly more or less not definitely rejecting the idea that in no way with any amount of uncertainty that I undeniably do or do not know where he shouldn’t probably be, if that indeed wasn’t where he isn’t. Even if he wasn’t at where I knew he was, that’d mean I’d really have to know where he wasn't.

Comment

My first thought when opening this thread was: "Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low".
              The Ignore list : Giving us the ability to surf CEG while keeping our blood pressure's in check, since 2008...

Comment

My opinion is that it's worth a little extra time, effort and money to replace the entire housing now and eliminate all uncertainties about overheating in the future.
                99 SVT Contour #1082 (summer)
                01 Subaru Outback (winter)
                98 Mystique LS Sport 2.5L (RIP)
                95 Contour LX 2.5L (RIP)

Comment

Replace the housing. Trust me.
                  ~Alex

98 SE 2.5 MTX - Totaled
                  97 Ranger lay'd out

03 ? vroom-pshh

LOSRE'S UNITE!!!!!!

Comment

I had previously just replaced the w/p... but it had a slight leak from the mating surfaces. Before I could get around to remounting it, it started with the rattle... and I replaced the whole thing. I wish I would have just gotten the entire kit from the start.
                    morbid
                    2011 Edge SEL AWD (black) - daily driver
                    2000 Contour SVT (black); #61 (Sept 17, 1999)
                    3L with ADC turbo kit; 325hp / 338tq @ 7psi
                    car is down with a broken tranny

Comment

I have a brand new unused housing. Came with the car. LOL! Anyone want it for a small price PM me.
                      Former owner of '98 SVT #1,173. Need a 95-00 Ford CD manual? PM me

Comment

We ended up peening the flow control washer in place. I took pictures. I'll try and post them tonight with more details.

-Andy
                        Andy W.

Comment

When I changed out my waterpump that piece fell out. I just stuck it back in there and haven't had any problems since...

Comment

Originally posted by RawBurt View Post
                            When I changed out my waterpump that piece fell out. I just stuck it back in there and haven't had any problems since...
                            Don't listen to him, he's a big dumb idiot.
                            ~Alex

98 SE 2.5 MTX - Totaled
                            97 Ranger lay'd out

03 ? vroom-pshh

LOSRE'S UNITE!!!!!!

Comment

I'm just stating my experience thus far.

Comment

Working...
                              X