• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bought CSVT w/123K, want to put another 100K on it :)

Nick A.

CEG'er
I'm pretty familiar with the CDW27 platform and did A LOT of modifying on my '99 Cougar, but it only had 40,000mi on it. I've never had a car with this many miles on it, but this one seems to be in great shape and I'd like it to last as long as possible...I love it and don't want it to crap out :laugh: When I spun the rod bearing in my Cougar it gave me the opportunity to swap in a 3.0L and I had a blast with all that, but w/trans that build cost me as much as this car!

What should I do to ensure maximum reliability in my CSVT?

So far:

-new spark plugs (probably Motorcraft finewire)
-oil and filter change (what oil are people using with over 100K???)
-BAT Accusump kit??? (anyone using this??? seems like good insurance against a spun rod bearing)
-fuel filter change
-inspect brakes
-inspect exhaust
-check belts
-o2 sensors??? (any reason to change these???)
-spark plug wires, they look fine??? (does conduction degrade overtime???)
-fuel system cleaner
-Seafoam the engine while running
-Restore engine treatment??? (anyone try this???)

Anything else???

Thanks!
Nick

I just posted this morning that rockauto has new Bosch spark plug wires listed for the 1995 V6 contour for $22. The wires fit all year contour V6's so that is a good buy. Can't beat OEM.

I'd say remove the UIM/LIM to do a thorough cleaning, getting the valves while you're at it would help. I do this pretty regularly, and currently have over 192K miles, still runs great.

I just posted this morning that rockauto has new Bosch spark plug wires listed for the 1995 V6 contour for $22. The wires fit all year contour V6's so that is a good buy. Can't beat OEM.

Bosch was OEM? I didnt have any Bosch markings on mine when they came off.

I know your mostly concerned with the engine lasting but you should also take a close look at the suspension with that many miles. You may be suprised I sure was. Just got some shipment of parts in today. New rear struts, es rear control arm bushings, swaybar end links, sway bar bushings, waiting on new swaybar from svttour, and buying tubular rear control arm/flatbar, from a member on here since the stock flat bar on my car was S shaped, and thats just the first round. For the front I have to order new control arms i got es swaybar bushings and new endlinks, and new strut mounts.
And the chassis on my car has 119k on it. So if I were you Its deff something to look at.

has the car been in beaverton most of the time?
I know it can get nasty with the dirt and snow sometimes.

He is right defiantely check out your undercarriage, including but not limited to suspension.

I've got 216,000 miles on it and it runs great, but the suspension is shot.

The car was in the Seattle area it's entire life. One nice thing about the car being from the Northwest is that they don't salt the roads in the winter and it doesn't really snow much anyway. I'm from Michigan and the salt on the roads does a number on the undercarriage. I will certainly inspect the entire suspension as well, I remember the poor condition of my upper strut mounts on my Cougar and that was with only 40,000 mi.

getsum: what do you use to clean your valves? Do you remove the spark plugs and spray something in there too? What have you had to replace to make it to 192K? (plug wires, coil pack, IMRC, PS pump???)

Thanks all!

things I've done...over 200k so far

things I've done...over 200k so far

car outlasted me and is used by one of my kids...though I still maintain it......oh, I now have an SRT-4 with over 100k....way more power, but less refined than the CSVT.

changed water pump
changed PS pump (was leaking pretty bad at about 200k)
gut pre-cats and add mil-eliminators
change oil religiously at 3k.....on an over 200k engine, it seems to go through about a quart every 1500 miles, so keep an eye on the oil level.
get the ES rear bushing kit
I changed the valvle cover gaskets at about 200k, though they were in better shape than I expected.
spark plug wires
new fuel injectors at 200k
cleaned LIM and UIM at 150k - they were nasty, so highly recommend doing that if it has not been done - the LIM gaskets were leaking which lead to a hard-start condition.
added poly bushing to front engine mount

do the usual change of ALL fluids (brake, PS, oil, trans, radiator) at better than recommended rates.

car outlasted me and is used by one of my kids...though I still maintain it......oh, I now have an SRT-4 with over 100k....way more power, but less refined than the CSVT.

changed water pump---Did you replace with the metal one from BAT?
gut pre-cats and add mil-eliminators---Was this to eliminate the possibility of them clogging? Or for performance?
change oil religiously at 3k.....on an over 200k engine, it seems to go through about a quart every 1500 miles, so keep an eye on the oil level.---What kind of oil did/do you recommend?
I changed the valvle cover gaskets at about 200k, though they were in better shape than I expected.
spark plug wires---Did you replace with OEM?
cleaned LIM and UIM at 150k - they were nasty, so highly recommend doing that if it has not been done - the LIM gaskets were leaking which lead to a hard-start condition.

do the usual change of ALL fluids (brake, PS, oil, trans, radiator) at better than recommended rates.---What brands of fluids do you use? Especially interested in what trans fluid you use?

Kudos on such a long running Contour! Please see me questions in red above.

Thanks,
Nick

I use berryman's B-12 in both can and spray. I use Autolite plugs, Taylor wires. I've used Mobil 1 5w-30 and purolator filters. Have K&N air filter. Biggest thing is when something breaks, fix it right away, before it can ruin other stuff. I also make sure to do "Italian Tune ups" as often as possible.:laugh:

changed water pump---Did you replace with the metal one from BAT?
gut pre-cats and add mil-eliminators---Was this to eliminate the possibility of them clogging? Or for performance?
change oil religiously at 3k.....on an over 200k engine, it seems to go through about a quart every 1500 miles, so keep an eye on the oil level.---What kind of oil did/do you recommend?
spark plug wires---Did you replace with OEM?

do the usual change of ALL fluids (brake, PS, oil, trans, radiator) at better than recommended rates.---What brands of fluids do you use? Especially interested in what trans fluid you use?

You don't have to get the WP from BAT. Advance, NAPA, etc., those will work. Mine came from NAPA.

You don't need to gut the pre-cats nor do you need to install MIL eliminators. The Contour is notorious from throwing the P420/430 code and as such, we tend to install MIL eliminators to shut off the CEL. If you don't have those codes, you are fine without them. But, you may need to change out those 02 sensors at some point in the future.

For oil: Personally, I'd stay with a quality dyno oil and a MotorCraft/Wix filter. Those are my preferences in filters, yours may differ.

Spark plug wires, I'd change them when you are changing the SP's. Do them at the same time. Bosch seem to work OK, some have had issues but then again, it could be the perfect product and someone would have a problem. ;) Your call. I, like getsum111, use Taylor wires. All three of the Contours in my family use Taylor.

Spark plugs: Autolight Double Platinum spark plugs seem to be the ones most commonly recommended around here. Again, the only SP I will use in the Contours. Just make sure to gap them to proper spec before installing.

Trans fluid, I use the Ford "honey". Again, my preference. If you do a search for Trans fluid I am sure you will find what you are looking for and it will help you make the decision that is best for you.

Also, as getsum111 said, do a UIM/LIM cleaning. Tossing Seafoam in there isn't going to do much unless you clean it up well to begin with. Use the Seafoam to help keep things clean afterward.
The UIM/LIM gaskets, get them at Advance/AutoZone. They are FelPro brand. There are a few other items you will need to get for this job and most of those items can be gotten at the above stores. Do a search for UIM/LIM cleaning as there is a parts list floating around here somewhere.

Hope that has helped to answer your questions. :)

Great info hear guys, thanks!

I used Autolite double plats in my 3.0L Cougar and I only use Motorcraft filters.

I'm not sure what kind of oil was used before in the car, I was just wondering if anyone uses "high mileage" oil with any success? I know it's basically just syn-blend, but just curious.

So I found the Taylor wires on Summit Racing, you guys using the 8.2mm or 8mm ? The 8mm specifically say Contour, the 8.2's say Ford 2.5L?

Finallly, what do you guys gap your plugs to?

Thanks!
Nick

Spark plug gap: 0.052 - 0.056. I gap mine at 0.056.

I have the 8mm Taylor wires. If Summit doesn't list the black wires and you prefer them, call and ask. Black is still being made! They are ordered from Taylor and are shipped from Taylor so they can get them for you.

I don't use high mileage oil in my husband's black SVT. It's got 104,xxx on the clock and it runs fine, burns no oil. I have Mobil 1 in my silver SVT (100k) but it's been used in that car since the second oil change, so that's what it still gets. Some use high mileage oil, some don't. ;)
I'm sure some that do will chime in with their experience.

Back