• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Draining *JUST* the coolant reservoir..

LostRacer

CEG'er
Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to drain the whole system? My reservor has holes in it and needs to be replaced. It will not hold a full amount of fluid because of these holes. Is there a particular hose I can pull that will drain it enough to change so I can just refill it afterwards?

Twist the level sensor out of the bottom, it should leak out. If you are not keeping the original, just drill a hole in it and let it leak.

Twist the level sensor out of the bottom, it should leak out. If you are not keeping the original, just drill a hole in it and let it leak.

the level sensor does not go inside the tank. why not just remove the hose that goes to the bottom of the reservoir at the lower radiator hose. its tight but it can be removed from the metal tube with the engine in the car.

the level sensor does not go inside the tank. why not just remove the hose that goes to the bottom of the reservoir at the lower radiator hose. its tight but it can be removed from the metal tube with the engine in the car.
good call. thanks for mentioning that. I completely for got about it. That won't drain any more of the system though , right?
I was thinking of the weapon r tank for some reason, nevermind......

:p

when was the last time the coolant was changed? chances are never? might as well just change it since you have to open the system up anyway.

Well if you unmount the tank and hold it higher than the rest of the system only the coolant that is higher than the hoses will come out.

If you disconnect the tank from the car, you can pour some of it out with the lines still attached into a cup that you sit on the inner fender. Once you hit a point where the level in the tank can be tip back to the opposite side of the tank, do so and remove a rubber line and drain out the bottom. Keep the line as high as possible and you might have to drain it a little. I was able to do it all from tank.

when was the last time the coolant was changed? chances are never? might as well just change it since you have to open the system up anyway.
Actually 4 years ago. ;)

But its all for not now. Spun bearing as of friday morning. So now it sits as I try to accumulate the funds for 3L.

Thanks for the replies all.

Back