• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Installed an oil separator in the PCV line.

gmorrell

Hard-core CEG'er
I recently did the Contour's every 20,000 miles clean the goop from the back of the throttle plate, as it causes it to stick closed. Decided to try an oil separator in the PCV line.

Used a Parker 10F11E miniature oil coalescing filter and a couple of 90º barb fittings.
http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/parker-fluid-control/air-preparation-products/15060-67944-_48.html

Spliced it into the PCV line between the PCV valve and the port on the bottom of the intake, right under the throttle body. I figure this will stem at least 99% of the PCV goop transfer, as this is the path the PCV flow takes when the intake is under vacuum. The PCV path is a bit different when the engine is at WOT, but even as much as I enjoy this car, I doubt I'm at WOT even 1% of the time.

PCV plumbing before.
DSC02242.jpg

PCV plumbing after.
DSC02243.jpg

Parker oil separator on cowl, driver's side.
DSC02244.jpg

In 3 days of the daily commute, it's already collected a small amount of oil. Now I wish I'd installed it 98,000 miles ago, I pulled off and UIM and the whole interior is just coated with a black, sticky tar-sh*t. The LIM is also a big sticky mess. I'm going to buy an upper and lower gasket set, rip the whole mess off and dump it in the parts washer for awhile. Will pick up some valve cover gaskets and replace those as well to stem some niggling oil leaks.

Now that I have the oil trap, and once I have the intake mess cleaned up, I guess I'll discover how much the EGR contributes to crapping up the intake.

Gary M.

SAE 30R7 is Nitrile-lined with two spiral Polyester yarn reinforcement layers, it's rated to 50psi and 24" Hg vacuum for low pressure fuel and vapor emission use. Even when the engine is running at idle (high vacuum) if I crush the hose with my fingers, it returns to shape, so, no problems yet.

After a few weeks and lots of heat cycles my hose is mush :( Where did you get that specific hose?

I bought a 25' roll of it long ago, may have been NAPA. Most good auto parts stores should have an SAE 30R7 fuel hose. 30R7 is not rated for fuel injection systems, it's for carbureted fuel systems, so it can handle some suction between a fuel tank and an engine mounted fuel pump.

Parker-Hannifin has a fuel line/emission 30R7 hose, is there a Parker fitting store nearby you?

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...SAE 30R7 FUEL LINE/EMISSION&cadonlyid=N&from=

I had two installed and the front breather trap never had a single drop of oil in a year so I removed it. The PCV side still gets some action though but I'm hoping the ARX cycle I did stems some of that.

Update, cropped closeup of the oil separator at 1 week, about 250 miles.
Crop_of_Oil_sep_with_oil_250_miles.jpg

A half teaspoon of oil perhaps?

I recently did the Contour's every 20,000 miles clean the goop from the back of the throttle plate, as it causes it to stick closed. Decided to try an oil separator in the PCV line.

Used a Parker 10F11E miniature oil coalescing filter and a couple of 90º barb fittings.
http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/parker-fluid-control/air-preparation-products/15060-67944-_48.html

Spliced it into the PCV line between the PCV valve and the port on the bottom of the intake, right under the throttle body. I figure this will stem at least 99% of the PCV goop transfer, as this is the path the PCV flow takes when the intake is under vacuum. The PCV path is a bit different when the engine is at WOT, but even as much as I enjoy this car, I doubt I'm at WOT even 1% of the time.

PCV plumbing before.
DSC02242.jpg

PCV plumbing after.
DSC02243.jpg

Parker oil separator on cowl, driver's side.
DSC02244.jpg

In 3 days of the daily commute, it's already collected a small amount of oil. Now I wish I'd installed it 98,000 miles ago, I pulled off and UIM and the whole interior is just coated with a black, sticky tar-sh*t. The LIM is also a big sticky mess. I'm going to buy an upper and lower gasket set, rip the whole mess off and dump it in the parts washer for awhile. Will pick up some valve cover gaskets and replace those as well to stem some niggling oil leaks.

Now that I have the oil trap, and once I have the intake mess cleaned up, I guess I'll discover how much the EGR contributes to crapping up the intake.

Gary M.

I'm have never replaced the pcv valve before and my chiltons book does not show where it is on the svt.
In your second Picture is the pcv valve the one that looks like a bell with a bleeder line on it the last one on the bottom.
I do not know how to copy the the picture and put an arrow on it.
If not which one is it.
Rob

ya i have the valve i just couldn't see where it was supposed to go. I hope that it goes in that 90 degree boot elbow because i broke off the top of the plastic one that is currently in the boot. I guess I have to take the throttle body off to replace it. I just can't get the old pcv out.

Gmorrell - hey I notice you're in the springs, I am too. Which store did you end up getting this hardware at?

Sorry, I hadn't been back to see this thread in awhile. I bought the oil separator and Brass fittings at the Parker Store on Garden of the Gods Road, it's a bit West of the Wendy's.

I'm have never replaced the pcv valve before and my chiltons book does not show where it is on the svt. In your second Picture is the pcv valve the one that looks like a bell with a bleeder line on it the last one on the bottom. I do not know how to copy the the picture and put an arrow on it. If not which one is it.
Rob
The PCV valve is that little thing sitting on the 90º hose el, with two smaller hoses on the top. The line with the Grey connector coming in on the top/right is the purge line from the fuel vapor recovery canister. The lower small line is the PCV purge line to the intake manifold, it pops up just behind the throttle plate in the floor of the manifold, you can see the port in the picture.

Gmorrell - thanks for the info! Obviously I hadn't checked in a while either sorry for the belated thank you. I think this might be a project over Christmas leave. Did you fabricate that bracket yourself or did that come with the separator? And either way did you drill into the metal piece you mounted it on, or just tighten the screws enough to keep it from sliding?

I had two installed and the front breather trap never had a single drop of oil in a year so I removed it. The PCV side still gets some action though but I'm hoping the ARX cycle I did stems some of that.

thats because the system has air flowing into the valve covers, not out of the valve cover.

Gmorrell - thanks for the info! Obviously I hadn't checked in a while either sorry for the belated thank you. I think this might be a project over Christmas leave. Did you fabricate that bracket yourself or did that come with the separator? And either way did you drill into the metal piece you mounted it on, or just tighten the screws enough to keep it from sliding?
I made the bracket out of some 1 x 1 X 0.060" Aluminum angle, it's screwed and nutted to the lip on the plastic cowl piece. The fittings are 90º 3/8" hose barb to 1/4" male pipe thread, you can also get these at the Parker store. The Parker 10F11E oil coalescing filter is a special order item, they don't stock it, so if you want to do this over the break, you'll want to get it ordered. If you're going to be in town over the Holiday, PM me, I'll be happy to help with the install, I have all the pieces-parts in the garage to make more, and you'd be surprised what I'll do for a growler of Soul Horkey Ale from Trinity Brewing Company. :laugh:

Another update, it's been a very cold January and February, lots of below Zero. Most of my trips are short, under 10 miles, the oil doesn't always get up to temp, so the oil separator is catching a lot of water these days.

DSC02480.jpg

Back