• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A/C Clutch Shim adjustment

byron366

CEG'er
Hello all. I have recently had problems with the A/C on my car, first starting with cold air being distributed incorrectly, but i solved that. It was just a vacuum motor. Anyways, my next problem is the A/C cutting out in hot temperatures. It was 105 F last week, and while driving down the highway, A/C stopped. I came back home, opened the hood, and the clutch wasn't spinning. So i took a stick and hit it. It started up again. I measured the clutch gap, and its beyond the .035 (or something like that) gap its supposed to be set at. I've searched the forums endlessly searching for instructions on how to remove the clutch disc the easiest way on the 2.5L V6. I got a few hits, but all of the links seem to be broken. Any help would be appreciated.

With engine off, engage clutch. Loosen center screw just a little. Remove serpentine belt. Remove screw. Disengage clutch. Wiggle off outer plate. Remove a spacer washer. Watch for small parts. There is a link on the maintenance forum with proper gap. I think it 0.015" to 0.033 inches. Reverse process. You should be good to go. You probably should get a book. Search on Ford compressor repair.

With engine off, engage clutch. Loosen center screw just a little. Remove serpentine belt. Remove screw. Disengage clutch. Wiggle off outer plate. Remove a spacer washer. Watch for small parts. There is a link on the maintenance forum with proper gap. I think it 0.015" to 0.033 inches. Reverse process. You should be good to go. You probably should get a book. Search on Ford compressor repair.

Do you really have to remove the serpentine belt to do this? i've never really had to change one, and the 2.5 engine is kinda crammed to be undoing the belt. but thanks for the quick reply.

Ford spec on clutch air gap adjustment.

spec is 0.35 to 0.85 mm (0.014 to 0.033 inch).

Steps
1. Mesure air gap between ac clutch and ac lutch pulley mating surface at three equally spaced locations with a feeler gauge. Record measurment.

2. If the smallest gap measurement is not within 0.35 to 0.85 mm (0.014 to 0.033 inch), remove the ac clutch as outlined.

3. Remove and measure the ac clutch shim. Select the appropriate thickness shim from the ac clutch shim kit to place the air gap within specified limits.

4. Install ac clutch shim and ac clutch as outlined. Checkair gap measurement.​

You may be right about not having to pull off the serpentine belt. I may have only used it to keep the compressor from turning when I removed the outer plate. It's been about 3 years since I did it.

Back