• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

liggtened flywheel and knock sensor

art

CEG'er
removed 7lbs from the flywheel when installing a complete st200 engine , ecu , etc into my cougar
when I ran on dyno results a bit disappointing
is there any possibility on the duratec engine this will change the harmonics and fool the knock sensor to think it is detonation reducing the ignition timing

A lightened flywheel is unlikely to give a steady state HP increase. If on an inertial dyno, such as Dynojet, you might see a slight improvement in rate of acceleration (newton-meter/sec/sec), but it's going to be very small.

Art; can't see your mod's lst ... can you list your mod's so we can see what you might have expected on the grounds of upgrades

I thought you had a 3.0L .. have you swapped parts to an ST200 engine ?

What happened with the tuning ? .......G.

hi need to make a separation here
3l engine is in the st24 , have just added 65mm mustang tb, rear silencers, as one had a collapsed pipe , another untouched ecu , and will be having that remapped on the dyno with a unichip soon

so I bought a st200 engine to rob the cams out of it for my 3l engine build last winter , with plans to break the rest of the engine
was only 62000 miles on it and everything was spot on , so changed my mind and sourced another set of st200 cams and built up again cleaning out all the ports etc, and removing all the egr gear
so bought a cougar to put it in and built as follows
st200 engine complete with st200 airbox , new k&n filter and optomised and half shafted st200 tb
pre cats gutted, sports main cat fitted with custom free flowing exhaust
st200 ecu remapped
ran cougar on same dyno with std engine and ecu , with st220 tb, st200 airbox, , std ex to main cat , and had the free flowing ex at that time
it made 175hp and 160 torque crank figures so that was around 8 more than std with the mods
so I was expecting around 195 for the st200 engine and another 10 for the remap
what I got was 185 hp and still only 160 torque .
was like someone had just dropped the st200 cams into a std engine and ecu
just moved the torque up the band for the extra 10 hp

OK; just to be thorough, have you checked the block and head casting numbers to make sure you have an ST200 engine and not an ST24 engine with some bolt on extras ? The later ST200 engines had a compression increase too.

You could check you have good compression in all 6 cylinders. I bought a shiny engine and found appearances can be deceptive.

Did you actually take the cam covers off and see the 200 cam's ?

Which ECU did you use ? what was the code on it ? Could you be using a non return ECU on a return engine ?

I ran a 9lb flywheel on an ST24 engine and ST200's could not get away from me. For this reason , I don't think the flywheel is the issue ....G.

yep definitely have st200 engine , seen the car it came out of. ported heads etc , and I installed the st200 cams myself . ecu from an x reg st200 so pretty sure it is return type
going to dyno tomorrow with the std map re installed

with std map hp increased by 6-8 hp right through the range on full throttle , but less response again on the part throttles
they had increased the rev limit by 250 revs so that gone again, wonder if any link betwwen what they did to increase the limit and the power loss

I bet they did some other stuff they're not admitting to. Who exactly is dong your tuning.?

re-reading your posts ...

What tuning alterations were necessary to allow for removal of the EGR stuff. ?

Do you think the ECU may be winding the engine back because of the lack of EGR system ?....G.

as there are no fault codes ecu thinks egr is fine as the sensor is retained and a vacumn line from the pump that creates a flow through it
egr does not operate on full throttle anyway
quantam did the remap
when egr is open it is just creating a leak into the upper manifold so less air will flow through the maf , that will be fuelled and then the whole thing dileted with the ex gases
surely then when egr is removed no leak into manifold , greater flow through maf and lambas will take care of the fueling
when the remap was loaded , ignition switched on and the tc light was on the dash , would not go out with a drive , but did go out later when the engine was restarted
now I know when tc is operating power reduces so there must be a map in there that retards the timing
the remap did improve power in closed loop , but in open loop ie full throttle looks like the ignition was retarded instead of advanced for more power

Have you got a knock sensor wired in ?

Just read quantum's blurb about EGR removal .... hmmm. I thought EGR reduced knock too .. maybe not.

My T.C. is cable operated so thankfully I won't have that issue. Also having a Torsen means the T.C. only kicks in when I mess around on grass or ice and snow. If I put 1 wheel through a puddle the torsen is so quick the T.C. doesn't even flicker the light.

Hopefully your T.C. light doesn't come back because that is now an MOT failiure. ....G.

Back