• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil Starvation

Sprestek

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I need a little enlightenment.

I've got this 2000 CSVT that I've had now for about 6 months. 66K on the clock, runs super. I'm catching a few threads here and there about oil starvation on high rev, right hand turns and that Ford has an upgraded pan that "cures" the problem. Although, I thinking that if the oil hangs in the heads the pan may not be much of a cure.

I've also heard from a couple of other CSVT owners (one guy seemed pretty knowledgeable) that this is complete B.S. Also heard that this is a problem but only at very high revs and long curves (combo of oil moving away from the pickup and oil hanging in the heads).

So, what's the scoop on the oil starvation and the pan? Also, is the upgraded pan needed on a 2000? How do I tell if the upgraded pan might already be be installed on mine?

If this is a problem it really p*sses me off as I bought the car to do track days (I don't want to beat it up, just drive fast) at the local road track and this problem would make doing that pretty much a non-starter.

Thanks for the help on this guys.

Ford did not include suffecient oil drain back from the heads to the pan. At high revs there is only about a 1/2 quart in the sump. If you then get into a long sweeping right hand curve there will be no oil at the pick up pipe.

This was cured on the 3.0 by adding more drain back holes. I have heard (but not confirmed) that the 2001 and 2002 Cougar also had drain back holes added to the heads.

The revised pan doesn't really help that much.

Most here run the oil a little high to try to minimize this problem. I run 6.0 quarts instread of 5.8, but many run 6.5 quarts.

This problem is agravated by weak rod bearings. The problem is diminished by using Clevite 77 rod bearings.

I also avoid bonzi runs on long sweeping right hand turns, including freeway cloverleaf onramps.

...I've also heard from a couple of other CSVT owners (one guy seemed pretty knowledgeable) that this is complete B.S. Also heard that this is a problem but only at very high revs and long curves (combo of oil moving away from the pickup and oil hanging in the heads).

That is correct. The part about other people calling it B.S. I did not put half quart above the max line until I joined contour.org. It was fine before but I think I have been lucky prior to me joining this board.

So I'm thinking, "Why take such a big risk for half a quart of oil?". I put in 6 quarts now. (1996 Duratec spec is 5.5 quarts and that is at max line when I change the oil filter too). I'm with Big Jim and most people on this board, on this matter. Extra half quart is cheap insurance.

Edit. I also avoid long sweeping right turns at high revs too. With an ATX, you can easily be caught unaware when the transmission shifts for you from 4 to 3 to 2 on a long sweeping right turn (exit ramps).

Old forums thread for good reading info.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ber=915485&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

And before someone posts about too much oil causing leaky oil seals, my Contour is at 98K miles and 10.5 years now. I have been running 6 quarts for the past year and 18K miles with no leaking oil (yet). Except for the time when Jiffy Lube did not tighten the oil filter enough. Man, I've been putting a lot of miles this past year. "Almost Heaven, West Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains......"

Last edited:
Sprestek said:
If this is a problem it really p*sses me off as I bought the car to do track days (I don't want to beat it up, just drive fast) at the local road track and this problem would make doing that pretty much a non-starter.

Best solution for you is the Accusump system. Basically the system is an oil reserve, which when your oil pressure drops the system releases an extra quart of oil (there are different systems out there 1qt, 2qt, and 3qt) to keep feeding your oil pump. This IS the Best way to alleviate all worries about oil starvation, period.

You can buy one here for $350 and thats a complete kit. This includes everything below:

accusumphe2.png

This was cured on the 3.0 by adding more drain back holes. I have heard (but not confirmed) that the 2001 and 2002 Cougar also had drain back holes added to the heads.
The 3.0L had three oil drainbacks from the head from Job1 back in 1996 for the Taurus. The 2.5L did not get three drainbacks until 2001 model year Job1 when they commonized the 2.5L/3.0L blocks (except for bore size of course).

5.8qts in your SVT is exactly full.
6qts is more than full, but likely not enough for you to make that call.

Either that, or your dipstick is a dipstick. :D :D

Back