Serpentine belt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serpentine belt

I thought I saw on here somewhere (now I can't find it for the life of me) that you can put a non a/c serpentine belt on a car with a/c.

Is that correct?

And does it give you more power?

Yes

No
    '98 SVT E0 BLK/MNB#1663 3L Always broke. - Now with a supercharer for even less reliability! Not sure if fun.
    '99 SVT E1 BLK/TAN#0741 Sold. Lots of fun.
    '07 MAZDASPEED3 GT Reliably quick groceries. Sorta Fun

Comment

The AC pulley will spin freely when the AC is not turned on. Most either use a non-AC belt when the AC system has been removed or to bypass it if its not working or frozen up.
      - 12 Focus SE
      - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
      - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

A/C in a small sedan doesn't consume more than 1 or 2 HP, so not really noticeable in the grand scheme of steady-state horsepower things. If you bypass the compressor pulley, you won't notice it cycling on and off, but you won't have A/C either. As a young man, I didn't mind cars without A/C, tho now in my late 50's, I really appreciate it.
        I collect Ford's Red-headed step children.
        1985 SVO Mustang (turbocharged track rat)
        1989 Taurus SHO (supercharged track rat)
        1999 SVT Contour (Sedanus-Grocerygetter-Rapidus)
        2008 Mercury Milan Premier (Comfy boat)

Comment

Originally posted by gmorrell View Post
          A/C in a small sedan doesn't consume more than 1 or 2 HP, so not really noticeable in the grand scheme of steady-state horsepower things. If you bypass the compressor pulley, you won't notice it cycling on and off, but you won't have A/C either. As a young man, I didn't mind cars without A/C, tho now in my late 50's, I really appreciate it.
          my cars power acts like it cuts in half when I use my AC lol

Comment

Thanks, The car is a circle track car so the a/c doesn't work anyway and another benefit is o can remove all the a/c stuff to lighten up the car

Comment

Working...
            X