• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Serpentine belt

Critter119

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I thought I saw on here somewhere (now I can't find it for the life of me) that you can put a non a/c serpentine belt on a car with a/c.

Is that correct?

And does it give you more power?

The AC pulley will spin freely when the AC is not turned on. Most either use a non-AC belt when the AC system has been removed or to bypass it if its not working or frozen up.

A/C in a small sedan doesn't consume more than 1 or 2 HP, so not really noticeable in the grand scheme of steady-state horsepower things. If you bypass the compressor pulley, you won't notice it cycling on and off, but you won't have A/C either. As a young man, I didn't mind cars without A/C, tho now in my late 50's, I really appreciate it.

A/C in a small sedan doesn't consume more than 1 or 2 HP, so not really noticeable in the grand scheme of steady-state horsepower things. If you bypass the compressor pulley, you won't notice it cycling on and off, but you won't have A/C either. As a young man, I didn't mind cars without A/C, tho now in my late 50's, I really appreciate it.

my cars power acts like it cuts in half when I use my AC lol :fighting4:

Thanks, The car is a circle track car so the a/c doesn't work anyway and another benefit is o can remove all the a/c stuff to lighten up the car

Back