Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to fix a wiring harness using Plasti-Dip.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cclngthr View Post

BTW, I found these cars touchy with misfire codes and cat efficiency codes, and in the UK they issued a TSB on this to change the gap of the sparkplug from .051 to .039 to keep the misfires from damaging the cat.
    In the US there was TSB to reprogram the PCM widen the range before it set the P0420/P0421 codes. I do not recall any change in plug gap.
    - 12 Focus SE
    - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
    - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

Originally posted by BrApple View Post

In the US there was TSB to reprogram the PCM widen the range before it set the P0420/P0421 codes. I do not recall any change in plug gap.
      The reason why the cat codes is touchy is because the intake manifold was designed wrong and does not match the exhaust system on it.

I did see Terry Haynes saying something that the UK did issue a TSB (not here in NA) on narrowing the gap to .039 or 1 mm. I have my plug gap set at .042, which I notice better performance and less emissions than with a gap of .052.

On the exhaust side, changing that completely to a 2 1/4 inch minimum with dual axle back exhaust or 2.5 inch single exhaust makes the cats happier,

Comment

Ok an update on the harness,... the majority of the wire is now replaced but I still have to do some more connector repairs include one which I believe is to a knock sensor even though most auto store websites say that the 1997 contour with the V6 doesn't have it. Regardless I know its the replacement for that connector, my dad also works at Pratt & Whitney so he was told about this "tephlon" like tape that sticks to itself and is rated at 500F that the shop uses on their wiring for the jet engines. Tape by Nashua. I'll include a few pictures of the state of the wiring harness.
        Last edited by BlueSupreme; 02-11-2018, 01:23 AM. Reason: Adding Link for tape.
        1997 Ford Contour Sport (Duratec 2.5L with MTX)-Build in Progress-Overhaul 223,150 Miles: Final Stage, wire harness preventing start.
        1999 Ford Contour SVT (Duratec 2.5L with MTX) #583 of 2760 T Green -Build Coming Soon (Engine Ceased)

Comment

Working...
        X