• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help me size this exhaust correctly!

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
ok so everyone knows i'm keeping my car N/A for a long time. i want a little more power, blah blah blah.

well i've been thinking about how to do it. i'm not going with true duals. out of the question. they sound like butt on a v6 and are not necessary.

however i have been hoping that i can free up my restriction where my Y pipe meets.

earlier on i was just going to get a MSDS Y pipe with the bigger collector (3" vs weapon r 2.5")

well now i have more ideas. i'm looking at different mufflers.

what if......

i ran the Y pipe individually (with a flex pipe on each of the "primarys") into a muffler say..... 2" dual INLET and 3" single outlet?

then run 3" all the way back to where my exhaust splits back into two pieces.....and bring it down to 2.5" at the split.

think this would be cool?

the main problem is, the mufflers that i see are single in/dual out. so i would be using the muffler backwards. seems like a terrible idea.

anyone got a better idea? LMK. also help me find a muffler that might work.

currently i have: weapon R headers, Weapon R y pipe, 3 bolt flex pipe, 2.5" trubendz test pipe------>2.5" trubendz catback w/ magnaflow muffler. no cats, no resonator.

the Y pipe seems to be my huge restriction, just by seeing how much heat is collecting there, its obvious. the Y pipe is the bottleneck, and it basically makes the catback i have currently a waste because its still restrictive in that spot. helllp! any help is appreciated, as always :)

why not just make a bigger optimized Y-pipe?? like up the size of the piping and collector?

i would think just upping the size of the pipes and smoothing out the bends will help clear that heat up.:shrug:

ok so everyone knows i'm keeping my car N/A for a long time. i want a little more power, blah blah blah.

well i've been thinking about how to do it. i'm not going with true duals. out of the question. they sound like butt on a v6 and are not necessary.

however i have been hoping that i can free up my restriction where my Y pipe meets.

earlier on i was just going to get a MSDS Y pipe with the bigger collector (3" vs weapon r 2.5")

well now i have more ideas. i'm looking at different mufflers.

what if......

i ran the Y pipe individually (with a flex pipe on each of the "primarys") into a muffler say..... 2" dual INLET and 3" single outlet?

then run 3" all the way back to where my exhaust splits back into two pieces.....and bring it down to 2.5" at the split.

think this would be cool?

the main problem is, the mufflers that i see are single in/dual out. so i would be using the muffler backwards. seems like a terrible idea.

anyone got a better idea? LMK. also help me find a muffler that might work.

currently i have: weapon R headers, Weapon R y pipe, 3 bolt flex pipe, 2.5" trubendz test pipe------>2.5" trubendz catback w/ magnaflow muffler. no cats, no resonator.

the Y pipe seems to be my huge restriction, just by seeing how much heat is collecting there, its obvious. the Y pipe is the bottleneck, and it basically makes the catback i have currently a waste because its still restrictive in that spot. helllp! any help is appreciated, as always :)

When I had my 3.0L Cougar I basically had the same setup as you don now except with an MSDS y-pipe. I felt a decent gain when I changed to a Trubendz y-pipe and got the car tuned for the lack of the u-bend. The Trubendz has 2.25" primaries and is made very solid! I would highly recommend it.
I would also highly recommend resonators :) (but that would add some resriction)
-Nick

When I had my 3.0L Cougar I basically had the same setup as you don now except with an MSDS y-pipe. I felt a decent gain when I changed to a Trubendz y-pipe and got the car tuned for the lack of the u-bend. The Trubendz has 2.25" primaries and is made very solid! I would highly recommend it.
I would also highly recommend resonators :) (but that would add some resriction)
-Nick

I wanted to get a Trubendz Y-Pipe, and with saying that looks like my choice has been solidified.

But TRicker, you said true-duals sound like ass on this car.. it's most the choice of muffler's, resonator's (or lack thereof) and/or x/h pipe. Mani's (Manimillion) true-duals, from what I've heard, sound great! You are right in a way though, certain true-duals do sound like a dirty butt hole.

Oh and also TRicker, how does you car not sound all raspy with headers, 1 muffler and no resonator?

I wanted to get a Trubendz Y-Pipe, and with saying that looks like my choice has been solidified.

But TRicker, you said true-duals sound like ass on this car.. it's most the choice of muffler's, resonator's (or lack thereof) and/or x/h pipe. Mani's (Manimillion) true-duals, from what I've heard, sound great! You are right in a way though, certain true-duals do sound like a dirty butt hole.

Oh and also TRicker, how does you car not sound all raspy with headers, 1 muffler and no resonator?

True duals got a bad rep...when cheap asses jumped into doing the setup...leaving just pipes and cheap resonators....just so they could have bragging rights. IF done properly...(like i did...traps and stazi) It doesn't sound like crap.:cool:

If you're worried about that S bend in most Y-pipes, go with the BAT version, or make a copycat similar to that design. The right-side (read firewall) collector bends straight back to the Cat, so you have a less restricted flow. But that raises the question, does that design create uneven backpressure between the front and rear banks? Probably. :confused:

Back