• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tried to Dyno my Turbo Contour, then turbo took a dump.

crewchiefpro

Hard-core CEG'er
Decided it was time to check out the power levels, right about the time it was starting to make power the oil seal in the turbo let loose. Turbo is shot. I knew it was a matter of time before the turbo died so I had ordered a replacement last month. To busy to put it in, now I somehow have the time.... Weird how that works.

Before it died it made over 400 lbs of torque at only 3980 RPM. After that it filled the building with smoke. Oil was everywhere, all inside the intake and exhaust. It picked a bad time to dismantle itself. The amount of torque is what makes this car so fun, and challenging to drive. After I replace the plugs, O2 sensors, turbo, and MAF I will check to make sure the cat converter isn't ruined.

New turbo is water cooled and ball bearings, not a huge benefit but will make reliability less of a concern. Once that is done I will have it back to the dyno.

Dyno operator told me the turbo was too small, but it makes for a great street engine.

400lbs of torque is a lot! And at ~4k rpms it was only just beginning:cool:. Thankfully it was just the oil seals. A truly dismantled turbo will destroy everything in it's path despite the engine being forged or not. What was the replacement? I imagine you stuck with the hybrid T3/T4 that came with the nautilus kit?

Full or ported? Stock heads? In that vein...

Thought you saw my build threads. Built by my son and I it has a 3.0, SVT Cams, heads were cleaned up and improved, forged rods and pistons, trans has 3.54 gear with limited slip and keyed tower. Stainless turbo kit.

66,000 miles and still looks as good today as it did 16 years ago.

No Title

Post some pics of this setup!

Here is a picture, it is hard to see but the new water cooled turbo is in place. I added heat shielding to both the hot and cold pipes.

I just took this picture after having some serious fun with the Contour. This thing is so **** fun, and scary as well. New turbo doesn't seem to boost any different than the old one, but there are no oil leaks into the hot pipe and the under hood temperatures are well below where they were.

Attachments

• photo16157.jpg
    photo16157.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
i would love the 3.5 FD. Ive had to many courses where i needed just a little bit more out of 2nd gear

Back