• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hybrid Turbo idea...

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
So i got to thinking a little about building a turbo car (not going to happen for a while, just thinking). I love my hybrid, and thought of making a high CR turbo engine. I could get the forged internals for a 3L and run the 2.5 Cougar heads that i have now with some bigger valves. It'd drop the CR to below 11:1.

Has anyone thought of doing this? I know some of the crazy turbo 4 bangers run 10:1 CR or better, and i have a friend with a 97 Cobra that is built to 11:1 CR and runs 8lbs on a street tune, and over 15 on a track tune.

What are your thoughts?

High compression limits HP on a turbo. Unless you have direct injection into the cylinder head it is a recipe for disaster. Lower compression = more boost options, and far more HP. It is the boost that wakes an engine up, not the static compression ratio.

Exactly. Play around with a dynamic CR calculator and youll see why raising cr on a boosted motor is redundant, and dangerous.

Mod motors dont like low comp and boost for some reason thats why most of those guys dont drop comp ratio they leave them closer to stock ratio. Thats the sweet spot for those motors.

But main problem is when trying to run a higher comp ratio is you will end up running non pump gas fuel
and crazy amounts of timing. To get it to not detonate.

Doable for sure. Some do this deliberately as higher compression will help spool a turbo more quickly. You'll also have more power off boost and be able to put down more power with less boost. However you'll have less margin for error. Would I do it for this platform? Absolutely not. Lag really isn't an issue on a 3L V6 unless you're running a huge turbo, and since you're using aftermarket pistons anyways I don't see the point.

I cant remember the who has it, but isnt there a hybrid turbo running around?

IIRC someone from the Columbus OH area sold it a couple years ago and the new owner lives in AZ........the black car with morettes

I cant remember the who has it, but isnt there a hybrid turbo running around?

IIRC someone from the Columbus OH area sold it a couple years ago and the new owner lives in AZ........the black car with morettes

This car?? I always loved the look on it... well except for the front bumper riding up onto the fenders.

mondeoupgrade4ky.jpg

Back