• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Vortech build

932.gif

^^^
lol we used to get that show on UK TV .... the shoe rack wasn't the only thing to check out :drool:

how did you get on with the fan assembly ? ...G.

Married with Children is Phenominal, really ahead of its time. It's on Netflix, you can get a browser and on and watch the US version if you want ;) The shoes he sells are only rated like a elevator, 5000lb capacity.

I haven't done much of anything with the car, i have the raidator held up by jacks where it want it. Steel is here just needs to be cut n welded.... Lack of home welder is not helping. I'm more in the middle of waiting for a friend of a friend to let me borrow it.

My coilovers are just about done, need a few bits on those before i drop them in.

Lack of home welder is not helping. I'm more in the middle of waiting for a friend of a friend to let me borrow it.

My coilovers are just about done, need a few bits on those before i drop them in.

i know how progress can grind to a halt, i'm in the market for a MIG welder because my rod welder is too big to weld my wheel arch in.

This was one of the reasons i didn't start a build thread ... i knew it was going to be a long haul.

Still; i'm using the delays to get some minor jobs done that i put to one side ... my laundry list items are slowly getting ticked off ....G.

Welder is going to be here tomorrow. Going to be welding with flexcore for the first time. Got a feeling i won't like it.

I made my self depressed looking at the car so i got motivated lol

Priorities

Weld Brackets.
Assemble put suspension back in.
D/S Frt wheel bearing is toast.
Few more vaccum lines.
Eventually drive/tune.
GET A SHORTER BELT. ••••in A

•••• thats going to need to be done....
Alirghtment, again.
My Seat brackets are too damn high. Needs to be trimmed or traded with a shorter man bracket.
E brakes
Gauge surround stupid coin holder do dad
Heat not working. Diagnosis says switch is bad.

Blah blah blah. More contour crap. This car won't have any original parts pretty soon.

GET A SHORTER BELT. ••••in A

am i right in thinking you have an underdrive pulley on your motor ?

cos i was thinking that to get the car rolling, you could go back to stock all round and fit a vortech supplied size belt.

With the vortech, i don't think you need to worry so much about squeezing the last drop from everything ...not straight off anyway. ...G.

No. Only on the alternator, because it's high output, and happens to be a late cougar style. Makes it not as easy.

Right now I can push the belt off tension with no effort

Beans; how are you getting on with the flexcore ? Have you made any progress with your laundry list ? ...G.

Hey BlackE1;

i think so. I am interested to see how he got on. This was the first time he had used a machine set up for no gas. Using gas can be just as much of a pain if you try to use it in the wrong conditions. Easier is what you are used to i suppose.

Are you an experienced welder ? ..... G.

I have welded with gas shielding only. I have a Miller 211 MVP. I know you need to adjust the settings differently when using flux core. Also i think you have to switch the polarity of the welder. But if you are getting it pre set up i wouldn't worry. Like i said i have never set up a machine for flux core so take what i say with a grain of salt.

Miller has some basic info that may help: http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/flux_cored_welding_basics_mild_steel/

But if you are getting it pre set up i wouldn't worry. Like i said i have never set up a machine for flux core so take what i say with a grain of salt.

i can't say if the machine is ready to go ... Beans said he was borrowing it.... so waiting to find out how he got on.

Machines that can operate with or without gas have a switch ... so no biggy to swop over polarity .....G.

Flux core sucks dong, never again. Gas mig is arriving tomorrow, hurray. 2 1/4" radiator spacers on both sides. Gives you some cool space between the engine and the fan assembly.

Car is pretty much back together thanks to the help of svt_0611.

After welding tuning will be the only thing that keeps it from running, i think i can get it to at least idle, but in all honesty i don't have any confidence tuning for boost :( Which will likely prevent me from driving it this year. Bummer.

2 1/4" radiator spacers on both sides. Gives you some cool space between the engine and the fan assembly. .

wow that seems massive, do you have an air con rad ? i'd like to increase the size of my spacers if it's a straight win/win.

Car is pretty much back together thanks to the help of svt_0611. .
great to hear your buddy helped get you moving forward.

After welding, tuning will be the only thing that keeps it from running, i think i can get it to at least idle, but in all honesty i don't have any confidence tuning for boost :( Which will likely prevent me from driving it this year. Bummer.
i'm in a simillar position. I have a basic tune to flash to the PCM but i couldn't get the guy to sound too confident about how much i can drive on the tune. He said drive it, but don't go revving it right up. Where are you up to.. is a basic tune how you are getting to idle ? ...G.

No a/c i got gallons of space. Probably could run a non vortech header.

Yeah under no boost will be fine. Got the maf slope done and just need to adjust for bigger injectors

Probably could run a non vortech header.
a few minor tweeks to miss the oil cooler and sump pan and a couple of nuts welded to the tubes for an OEM heatshield and the vortech header would have been perfect.

Yeah under no boost will be fine. Got the maf slope done and just need to adjust for bigger injectors
well having your car back in one piece means you can at least run the engine and move the car around over the coming months.

I've moved into tidying up mode ..... definately going to be driving my car regularly in 2015 :laugh: ....G.

Its getting cold here fast. Car fun goes away oct 31st. It will be parked and untouched until winter breaks next year.

Back