• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Vortech build

Well. Ill tell you right now a few issues with your ideas.

Your engine is a hybrid 3L. High compression on boost is a bad idea, especially with stock bottom end. I would reccomend very low boost.

Awd fabrication has been talked about before many times, its feasable with enough money time and skills but its far from worth it for whats avalible. X type transfer case was fortold to fail at very low power levels.

Mondeo 6 speed would require custom axles and shift linkage its a bigger car.

If it was my car i would put the supercharger on low boost and save for a built bottom end engine

Last edited:
Well. Ill tell you right now a few issues with your ideas.

Your engine is a hybrid 3L. High compression on boost is a bad idea, especially with stock bottom end. I would reccomend very low boost.

Awd fabrication has been talked about before many times, its feasable with enough money time and skills but its far from worth it for whats avalible. X type transfer case was fortold to fail at very low power levels.

Mondeo 6 speed would require custom axles and shift linkage its a bigger car.

If it was my car i would put the supercharger on low boost and save for a built bottom end engine

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I've wondered about the compression - Billy says he built it for FI, but by what he told me, it's the opposite of low compression so I am concerned. That's why I'm thinking low boost. I know even 5 psi would net a gain I would be happy with, but even then I worry about detonation or, at the very least, tuning issues. I'm sure I can sell the S/C and get my money back if it comes to this, or do as you recommend and just keep it until such a time as I can build an engine from the ground up. As far as the XType AWD, yeah I was worried about whether it would hold up. There's so little info out there because to my knowledge it hasn't been done.

Maybe I should talk to Josh about his RWD concepts. Perhaps this is more realistic. If the hard core CEG'ers haven't done AWD, there's a reason

216.gif
wwwwww

Gotta disagree with that. Its just gotta be properly built. I daily my Audi, its a full own project car with a standalone ecu custom turbo kit custom everything. Will drive that car anywhere and everywhere, and if its winter probably pull a couple people out of ditches on the way. Put 43k miles on it in about 1.5 years, 28-29 psi everyday on a gt2871 20 psi on a gt35. Finally just putting a new engine in it right now which is the first time its been down in 3+ years and then it will return as my daily. That being said if I was going to daily my contour I would drop the compression ratio to at least 9:1. Hence, the properly built part.

I completely agree with it being properly build, it shouldn't be an issue. And maybe that is why so many have had issues in the past. For the most part Contours just don't end up being reliable when forced induction is added.

Thats an Audi that came turbo'd. Thats a LITTLE different. These chassis were never designed for anything close to what a 3L n/a churns out. It just strains everything, let alone FI. The same can be done with my mazda, 20psi daily stock bottom end. Toss some slicks on it you can have a 11sec fwd car, go drive it around town.

I'm pretty pleased with my installation of my both drivetrain and charger with no shortcuts or penny pinching. (other than forged bottom end) I still broke plenty of stuff attached to the engine and trans (either of those gave me no issues)while driving it, just a nature of the beast. I think my coil pack and starter are the only things still original... I would never use a Turbo/supercharged contour as the ONLY means of transportation to and from work.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've talked with some of you in the past, bought parts from some of you, I respect your opinions. I've had good success with my two Contours based in part on opinions and info from CEG. Regarding FI: Some new info since my last post: Yes, I want to DD it, but my Tour is not my only vehicle. My original idea was to get the most reliable NA performance I could - mission accomplished. But - I got the FI fever now. I've talked at length with Billy, forwarded to him my concerns regarding compression, reliability. Willing to bet many of you know him personally. He says this hybrid was built for FI - in fact, he was the one that pushed me in this direction. He assures me that it can handle up to 8psi. I talked with Vortech, and the boost level for a 2.5 would be 8 psi, but the boost for the 3.0 will of course be a little lower. Vortech says the V9 kit was designed for a stock block; however, at least from the feedback here, the Duratec just doesn't hold up to forced induction. Idk. Anyway, I've never added a s/c to any of my cars before, so this is new to me and I'm relying on opinions and whatever research I can do on my own. My opinion thus far is that the biggest problems with FI (in general) are bad tunes that run the mixture lean and/or high rpms. I think I've found a great tuner about 5 hours from me (Vancouver, WA) that has dyno'd at least one Contour (they got 211whp from a NA 2.5!). So, tune problem solved. With the 3L valves, heavy duty valve springs and Clevite rod bearings, this engine should hold up better at high rpms. Anyway, that's where I'm at so far.

Beans please tell me what the "Not sure if fun" comment about #1663 means exactly. My guess would be it breaks too much to be fun, but......Too much wheelspin? Too much torque steer?

Yeah. Okay good, i didn't see it. Looks like you got some of the hard stuff done, get your radiator back in?

I never took it out. I trimmed the shrouds before the engine was back in the car. I also put the vortech crossover tube on. Then I put the spacer blocks on the radiator brackets but didn't use the round spacers. I noticed they were putting alot of strain on the plastic studs on the upper radiator.

The supercharger is working now. All that's left to do is somehow someway get it tuned so I can use my 42# injectors and get rid of the stupid FMU.

Lol How did you find that place? I'm about 4 hours from there. I would have to install the 42's on site because I can't get the car to run at all if I put them on now

Lol How did you find that place? I'm about 4 hours from there. I would have to install the 42's on site because I can't get the car to run at all if I put them on now

I faced the same problem ........ i got a safe tune from the dyno place for the 39lb, so i could install my injectors in my own sweet time . Also i think the tune was cheaper than hiring their workshop space for several hours.....G.

Back