• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Vortech build

I had to open up the base plate because the walbro was bigger at the bottom even though the sock neck was smaller !!

can you post up some pictures of your pump assembly if you have it out..... G.

I don't have it out anymore. Its just slightly bent down at the foot of the assembly. I was just wonder if it was bottoming out on the tank. Just considering all options.

I don't recall if the bottom of the retainer got bent down or not. Might have slightly from working on it. As noted I had to open it up so that the pump would fit into it.

My post vanished
Found out my car needs to be above 1/4 tank otherwise it gets unhappy at acceleration or sharp turns. Added 3 gals of gas and it went away. Stupid baffling.

Car has fuel, car TONS of air. Car needs tune now!!!

I still have a jumpy maf counts, even at idle so i bought a maf screen to help straighten the air out. Hope that fixes it, otherwise i'll need to reinvent my intake

Not that anyone cares. Intercooler blew up a few months ago. Pulled the intake off and it was leaking coolant through. Obviously that put hold on coolant. While it was down i deicide to redo the cold air intake. 2000zxt made me a new intercooler setup. Installed it. But that's probably it for this year. - Extremely disappointing.

If the car doesn't tune correctly this go around that's it. It will be parted.

tut tut tut Beans.......the guys do care .... I hope none of those guys that helped you are easily offended. lol The forum has gone quiet ... not sure why ... but we do check back to keep in touch. Loads of people have had problems with MAF placement and airflow ... it can be tricky to get right. Don't let the frustration beat you ... everyone want to see your car be a success .....G.

Fixed the video. I honestly can't take the frustration, the car has a unbelievable amount of money into it. Not even by contour owner standards i bet its close to 15k, and i can't get the ****ing piece of **** to run worth a crap. So it gets to sit another winter.

I relocated the maf and intake setup. - Full 3.5" all the way to the elbow, smooth bends. I have a maf screen in the front of that. It won't ever get smoother air than where it's at.
i9be1EP.jpg

I've been getting some local help, but not much anyone can do for me if the car won't tune.

Beans; looking at your MAF position .... have you got an extention piece ? I'm thinking .... to move the air filter away from the MAF. . I know it isn't practical from a driving perspective ... it would just be an experiment to see if the airflow settles down with filter a little further away from the MAF sensor...... G.

..... maybe you could also try bolting your MAF to the stock airbox with a panel filter.. Have you cleaned the MAF sensor wire ? .... MODS; the edit function is not working ... clicking on it has no response ......G.

I'm sure the maf signal is fine now. It's a non issue with the current setup. If it is i don't really care, because it is impossible to improve upon it, it's got 6" of straight pipe after it. The maf has a TRE honeycomb air straightener before it. but i ran out of time for tuning. Snow is down contour is in.

hopefully the snow was a blessing in disguise. At least now you have a few months to consider the issue.

I was thinking that 6 inches of straight pipe before the MAF would move the sensor away from any turbulence that may be coming from the filter. You could try that with and without the screen ....

Just trying to throw some ideas out there .... who knows what might come to light while your trying stuff out Many a genius secretly owes their success to serendipity.....G.

The filter is about 2 inches from the ground lol no 6" of pipe is getting in there.

We'll see. I'm not going to think about it over winter.

Your build is really impressive. Breaking my heart though.......don't give up! I'm planning on installing the V-9 this spring and your experience is scaring the hell out of me lol. I am going s/c so there are key differences but boost is boost. Also - I'm working with Shawn Archer who will be doing 95% of the work, then tuning will be on a dyno so needless to say I don't have the time and/or skills to do it myself. So much respect to you. I'll be checking for updates on your post in the spring.

57f degrees today. Fired the old girl up. IAC had a massive leak out the top cap for whatever reason, plugged it. Went for a spin.

Handles so good. Sounds so good. Runs like crap.

Got a few changes i need to make, a injector swap. Redo the water lines for the cooler. Then its make or break in tuning, really hoping it takes. I don't have any other ideas in me to make this tune take. Prayers from the contour gods at this point.

Time for beer.

Back