• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Vortech build

sorry Beans I'm a little confused.....

are you saying you know the reg will be closed under boost or that the fuel pressure goes up when you choke off the return line.as described ^^^

Running this stock reg means you have little control of fuel pressure... effectively it is governed by your pulsewidth.

I thought you said the fuel pressure dropped off at 6k rpm..... that's why I went in this direction.

You'll need to explain what the load / high RPM / WOT issue means in more detail .

Did you data log the fuel pressure during your dyno session ?

did you zero / datalog your fuel trims ? What are they now ?

I'm trying to get you to post up information so guys can chip in based on what you say..... if I'm not helping, say so and i'll step back and let someone else work through things with you. .... G.

No one prob cares but the tune is 90% finalized. It's a rocket.10psi on a normal day.

TklULvT.jpg

The sub 50degree days i was hitting 12psi. Anyone who says stock gearing is good at this power level is grade a full of ****.

Nice. I guess I am not making the power in the same or something. Never really had an issue with the stock gearing. :shrug:

experience does differ

Yeah it's really bad, 2nd feels like the car did n/a in first gear it lights the 245's with ease at the top of the power band.

ooooh someone's been a busy boy..... some mighty Purdy welding.

Hope you're gonna do a 'how to' for the transmission final drive. I have another box to do and I didn't see the first one being done ....G.

Maybe. If i do it will be on NECO i got quite the collection of parts for the next step when the motor goes :p

...... I was reading a guy's account over here about his 3.0L Vortec which he described as a bit too much of a revvy screamer..... he switched to turbo.

Now you've had your car running for a while ....how's it running? .....pro's/ con's ?

It's okay. gearing is too short still. Tune is pretty good but could use a bit more work. It's loud i guess? But the power is more usable than a turbo, less torque. I don't really care for how it sounds, but the extra power is a double edge sword, it's welcomed but traction is.....ermm not good

Took it to autox today

https://youtu.be/bgayyhyzz3w?t=19

.... on the noise issue; are you still running the oil supply from the rear head ?

I could hear the whistle from the vid...... are you talking about gear noise ?

I'm thinking about using the oil gallery on the front of my next engine block. ...G.

No talking about the whistle from the blower. its pretty loud in car. Yes still using oil supply from the head,

The block gallery might be too much PSI, not sure.

OnbtYqv.jpg

I'll have some more photos.

.... might ask around about some kind of pressure reg.... maybe more pressure equals better atomization.

What kind of fuel milage are you getting if you just drive sensibly ? if that's not a silly question ha ha.

more pictures is always good .. ....G.

No idea. I have to fill up early the gas tank will starve the fuel pump in boost at just above 1/4 tank.

Junky fuel tank design

.... which spark plugs are you running ?

do you have a knock sensor wired up ? ....G

Yes i wired in a knock sensor. Using NGK plugs they were posted earlier in this thread.

Here is a pic of more of it's ugliness. Needs paint.

8zfzUT8.jpg

knarly is in right now ....... besides; when you have finished wrenching on it, you can paint it and keep it nice ..... G.

For the handful of people still reading this thread;

Ran full A6 Hoosiers with the new spring rate, maxed out the front dampers. Car is very wild in the rear, in combination with the lack of traction in the front makes it a handful.... Throttle in 2nd gear is almost impossible to modulate slowly. you just touch the gas and the car is at roasting tires... It is just too short gearing and makes too much power.

Video of the WORST run of the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te4YB6EAs0I

Photos of the destroyed axle in the last run. Passenger side went.

Sounded like someone threw change in my wheel. It showered the course in pieces, i found some of the ball bearings later on.
Sco6KFQ.jpg

JMRKcuV.jpg

aSffP5d.jpg

..... I guess you have a 65mm Mustang TB.

You could try using a progressive TB,. that is one with 2 springs on the side.

This should slow the throttle plate opening rate and make it easier to gently feed the power in

Considering the Vortech.... you could probably go down a size to an optimized 60mm and still have more than enough power.....G.

Back