X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans
    started a topic Vortech build

Vortech build

I welcome any vortechers advice on things you did on your install. svtfixer,jaged, 99mystique, ect.

My Objective is to do this once and not change my mind too much like i do, that gets really expensive. Reliability is #1 (for a contour :P )

This is sort of a mental dump and grocery list, please add your 2 cents.

[Cars current state]

'04 Stock 3L Bottom end with SVT Cams '35k on motor. 5k on the build.
    '08 revision escape oil pan
    Portmatched to big bore gutted LIM '99 Taurus UIM pnp'ed stock svt tb, remote iac egr/dpfe dellete
    No A/C PS cooler delete.
    Weapon R Headers to Truduals
    255lph TRE fuel pump '24lb injectors
    Built trans
    Mocal Oilcooler in place of P/S cooler
    Mini drycell battery.
    Tweecer tuned
    12lb lightened flywheel. Clutchnet Organic disc, Stage 3 Pressure plate. Should be good for north of 400tq
    I think thats all that will serious affect anything...

[Grocery list]
    Pull engine for install?
    Vortech spec front header. Coat? $190 Wrap both headers.
    Spark plugs. which?
    Oil? Yes. What weight?
    Injectors. EV1 42lb 4 pintle $250~
    headunit rebuild. DIY? or send out?
    Belt size with No A/C? account for smaller pully on HO alt..
    MAF.. Stock sufficient? Run a MAFia? Run a 80mm+?
    ADC intercooler... how much psi drop?
    Bosch Lightning water pump, how to wire..?
    heat exchanger behind front grill where hood latch is? How big?
    Where to put battery... Trunk? Last resort. Relocate fuse box to fender? put battery where fusebox is?
    Autometer Phantom Boost Gauge
    Pulley size.......... How much boost do i want, take in account for psi drop on intercooler. 10? 9? 8? 7?

[The Needs]
    Need to do inventory on incomplete vortech kit i have, things i know i need;
    A •••• ton of fittings, nuts, bolts, washers, hose barbs and vacuum hose
    radiator spacers.
    The plastic inlet to the head unit.
    lots of silicone intake couplers and clamps
    AN hose for feed and return.

• Beans
    replied
    meh no worries ill just make one

Thanks for the complement Johnga - Its a long time coming. Hopefully i get time to paint it so it doesn't looks a little nicer on the outside.

Leave a comment:

• gorman
    replied
    Hi Beans, sorry i've been AWOL..... just seen your message. I have been chasing another guy for a bracket but no reply yet. The bracket in the link was 20 gbp and i'm guessing the shipping will be the same to send it to you. It pains me as much as you that a stupid bracket ends up costing an arm and a leg. p.m. me .....G.

Leave a comment:

• csvtjohnga
    replied
    I know ive not been much help because i never got mine this close to running perfect but DAYUM. Great job Beans!

Leave a comment:

• Beans
    replied
    Well that didn't work out. Oh well. Will go custom.

Was able to resolve fuel pressure and fix the power steering leak.

Found a vaccum leak at the throttle... and my DMD is about ready to fall apart. Might get a Fluidampr but that will lower my peak boost, unless i get a custom made pulley. That will require some more R&D

Leave a comment:

• Beans
    replied
    Purchased! huge help

Leave a comment:

• gorman
    replied
    ..... contacted a guy selling 220 bits and he dragged this out of his garage ....... it's an option if you need it ...G

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONDEO-ST...IAAOSwR~tbs1ca

Leave a comment:

• Beans
    replied
    Misfire fixed, runs good. Need to rebuild the pump

Still need to sort the throttle bracket. How did other st220 people run the bracket?

Leave a comment:

• gorman
    replied
    ..... ooh, non return, fun and games... lol .....G.

Leave a comment:

• Beans
    replied
    Got the car started. Few more bugs to sort out. SUPER High Fuel pressure and a bad power steering pump pissing fluid

Leave a comment:

• gorman
    replied
    .... oh yeah, To be honest, I hadn't studied that photo, that closely.

Really good to see your progress ..... checking back regularly. ....

Leave a comment:

• Beans
    replied
    I have 2x spal fans pulling on the back side of the oil cooler now. Have not completed wiring yet. You can see them in the empty engine bay shot

Leave a comment:

• gorman
    replied
    ...... did you find any better spacing for the oil cooler ....... wondering if you managed to make the oil cooler more efficient ....... I remember you talking about these issues .....G.

Leave a comment:

• Beans
    replied
    Its not aimed at a particular issue. Heat and underhood temps have been a issue when autocrossimg

Everything is very tight in this engine bay... touching in many cases... I have a ton of heat sleeving and sheething material on the car. Anything that prevents melted things and gets the heat off anything that makes the car go fast longer.

Leave a comment:

• gorman
    replied
    ....... WOW !! You are really kicking ass there ....

Interested in the heat shielding on the Vortec drive shaft ........ you think heat transfer from header is significant or just belt and braces attitude ? ...G.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X