• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Xcal2 What is it

Who knows... all I know is that on THIS forum, you won't hear about it... period.

We (CEG, the site, admins/mods and community as a whole) don't support, allow, or promote any form of piracy, nor the discussion of the aforementioned actions or ideas. Its illegal, and this is something our site wants nothing to do with. We present ourselves to the internet-as-a-whole as a respectable, family oriented site. It will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

I'm sure there's a way (there's a way for ANYTHING, right?) and maybe even that its been done... but the bottom line is: you won't learn about it, or hear about it on these forums.

well that reply falls into the category of fascism, but since the interwebs seem to follow some level of fascist legislation, I'll subside here.

so what are my options in the circumstance that I cannot find a way to reflash my Xcal? I'd rather be able to drive my vehicle to a dyno without worrying that it will explode by the time I make it there.

well that reply falls into the category of fascism, but since the interwebs seem to follow some level of fascist legislation, I'll subside here.

so what are my options in the circumstance that I cannot find a way to reflash my Xcal? I'd rather be able to drive my vehicle to a dyno without worrying that it will explode by the time I make it there.

fascism:[SIZE=-1] A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, [etc]
[/SIZE]
Have you looked around? This is a PRIVATELY HELD SITE, with a CENTRAL owner who dictates the rules. Wow.. I'm glad you posted those high school scores, or I'd think you accidentally stumbled on to being correct...
:D :D

Your options:
with a 3L? it will run fine untuned.. just drive it there.
boosted?

unhook the inlet/turbo and run it NA, but with the turbo piping installed so you can drive to the dyno.

I recently rode along with a friend who flashed his Speed3 and it gave him several base tune options such as Economy, Sport 1 and Sport 2. Does the Xcal offer several base tunes as well or is it like other tuners I've seen where it just goes through some yes/no questions?

it isn't a user-based tuner.

it is a completely custom tune based on datalogging the car (either on a dyno, or via a laptop running in the car while driving.

This isn't a "yes/no" basic system.

it isn't a user-based tuner.

it is a completely custom tune based on datalogging the car (either on a dyno, or via a laptop running in the car while driving.

This isn't a "yes/no" basic system.

Gotcha. When they say its user adjustable I assumed it was like the other yes/no user based tuners.

Gotcha. When they say its user adjustable I assumed it was like the other yes/no user based tuners.

sort of, with the xcal2 you can adjust a few parameters when you upload the tune. you can adjust spark, wot fuel, tire size, low and high speed fan turn on temps, etc

and with just the basic XCAL2, when BrApple mentions "spark" or "wot fuel" its not 100% adjustability.. its a percentage of variation FROM the tune that was created for you via a dyno shop, etc..

You can add 3 degrees timing, for example, but its a GLOBAL change.. all changes are global changes for that area. Spark timing is global (xdegrees) across the BOARD.. not at a certain RPM... so.. even though you COULD use another degree or two of advanced timing in the lower band, you may have already been on the ragged edge of the limit at the rev-limit, and it will still add the same 3 degrees at the top, too, causing problems at redline, etc.

This is an example of how you "can" adjust things, but not with any amount of precision..

This is not to take away from the Xcal or what IT can do.. I am just describing what the USER can do.. an XCAL in the hands of a PRP owner who is ALSO a knowledgeable person on this platform can adjust ANYTHING they want in ANY way shape or form..

so if i want to tune my se with the svt cams and such.

then want to tune the svt to run the 3l and whatever else i need to buy 2 xcals correct.

wish if you purchased the PRP it would let you unlock it. or let you store 2-5 tunes on the xcal

so if i want to tune my se with the svt cams and such.

then want to tune the svt to run the 3l and whatever else i need to buy 2 xcals correct.

wish if you purchased the PRP it would let you unlock it. or let you store 2-5 tunes on the xcal

no all you would need is a new tune to down load to the pcm ... the xcal2 can hold 3 tunes as well as the stock tune.

ONE XCAL can tune ANY number of vehicles... just NOT at the SAME time.
If you buy an XCAL you can tune your SE for the SVT bits. When you load a tune to the SE, it puts the XCAL in to a locked mode (you can't tune another vehicle right now with it), then if you want to tune the SVT you have to REVERT the SE back to a stock tune ("unload" the tune you made) and this process puts the XCAL back in to an open mode which can be used on any car (namely, your SVT)

no big deal if you don't mind plugging the XCAL in to the car you decide to drive and reload the tune each time you switch cars. If you want BOTH to be tuned at the SAME TIME... you need TWO Xcal units.

hey, still sort of wondering in a little better detail how difficult creating a descent tune for my 3l se is going to be with the Xcal?

I'm not going to have cash for a dyno tune for a long time, and I've never done this before. is it possible to just upload a good tune for a 3l via the internet and the usb cable?

also... were do I find a copy of the Xcal software, the disk the guy sent with mine is destroyed.

Actually with the .ll3 tune file you can adjust timing much more that that over three different ranges, low, med, high rpms.
This should be set by the tuner before the file is saved. I could set it to +10, -20 degrees if I wanted to but that would be not safe if the customer accidentally changed something.

Same thing for air fuel, limiters, etc.

hey, is just a copy of the tune available? I already have an Xcal

If you don't have the cash for a dyno tune, I doubt you have the ProRacer package... and just the xcal2. For the xcal2, someone else makes the tune and emails it to you. After you have the tune loaded on the xcal2, you can tweak a few of the settings.

Though.. this discussion really should have been in a new thread... not in a sticked xcal2 faq thread.

If you don't have the cash for a dyno tune, I doubt you have the ProRacer package... and just the xcal2. For the xcal2, someone else makes the tune and emails it to you. After you have the tune loaded on the xcal2, you can tweak a few of the settings.

Though.. this discussion really should have been in a new thread... not in a sticked xcal2 faq thread.

sorry, but that is fairly crucial info, so it didn't hurt the thread.

Simple question. Where do I "plug in" a sct eliminator chip? Do I disconnect the PCM in my 1995 3L MTX and plug it in there, or....?
image12.jpg

Back