X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using cougar ecu in svt.

To start my car is a 99 csvt with return less fuel system. Ecu Code mnq2
    The ecu I got is out of an 01 cougar return less. Ecu code trw3

I know cougar guys use Svt ecus all the time as long as they stay with the proper fuel system. My main question concerns the fact that my Svt has 4 o2 sensors where the 01 cougar only has 3. How will the cougar ecu function with that idea.

The reason for swapping ecus is that I picked up an xcal 2 that has a custom mail order tune with similar mods and I'm going to swap to 24lb injectors also since the tune is for them. And Im pretty sure I need the cougar ecu (which I got with the tuner) since the tune was written for that specific ecu code.

If this don't work I'll just get my own mail order tune for the Svt ecu but was trying to save a few bucks and get a good baseline tune till I get some dyno time.
    '01 F150 Supercrew-Magnaflow Exhaust, Airmax intake, 33" Terra grapplers
    '98 Satin black CSVT #3107- Portmatched 3L, Quaife lsd and more SOLD 10/28/12
    99 Tgreen/Tan CSVT Ported 3L, Koni/GC's, and more to come.

In general you have to match the year and options if the PCM is going to work. I have not idea if the pin outs between the two are the same.

Also if you don't know how the cougar was tuned, it might not even run an SVT well, or at all.

Yes if the tune was written for the specific PCM code then you need to use it also.

Honestly, I would just get a tune for your vehicle and go from there.
    - 12 Focus SE
    - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
    - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

You also need the PATS chip (to swap in your key) from the donor car if you're going to swap ECU's. I would save your money and get a new tune of your own. Less problems for sure.
      2009 Honda...

Comment

Make sure the pin-out is the same (I think it is very close, something like 3 different pins between the two, the cougar with an extra low fuel warning, and the contour with the extra O2). The ECU harness can be "re-pinned" if you're up for it.

Other than the pinout, if you know all of the tune details, and they match your configuration, you may be able to use it.

Having an extra O2 wont be a problem (no CEL), but you may want to make sure that the unused O2 gets unplugged, or that the corresponding pins aren't used for something else on the Cougar PCM (If you're lucky, you may actually be able to turn the missing O2 on in the tune). The thing is, the cougar has one down stream O2 that can sniff both bank's exhaust, the SVT's down stream O2s can only sniff their own bank. So, if you only use one down stream o2, it'd be best to move it in-between the y-pipe collector and the main cat. If you have headers/gutted pre-cats, then just turn the downstream O2s off.

Since your car is returnless, there may be a few less variables than the return style cars. For instance you know you have only one type of knock sensor, and that it actually does exist. IIRC, some earlier SVTs were missing a knock sensor.

I'm just regurgitating this information, so take it with a grain of salt.

Also, What they said^^
        "Skrink" 2000 Contour SE Sport w/ Port-mis-matched 3L, Modded - "Totaled" ...by a dent. :(
        "Skrod" 1999 Contour SVT #811 1/12/99 Forged 3.0T - Under the knife
        "Gidget" 2004 VW GTI 1.8T - Wife's DD
        "Charlotte" 1982 Alfa Romeo Spider - Wife's (In Storage)

Comment

Shouldn't be too hard to find a cheap returnless 99-00 Cougar ECU with a key. Be a lot easier, safer, and more logical than trying to ghetto-rig an 01-02 ECU to work.
          2000 Roush Cougar MTX V6
          2003 SVT Focus ZX3 #2370
          2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
          2008 Mustang Bullitt # 5389

Comment

Turns out the ecu is from a 99 so I could use it as is if I want. Kinda made my mind up on getting my own custom tunes made up(one for current mods, and 2 for the mods I have ready to install) dunno yet. And I do have a key chip for the ecu.
            '01 F150 Supercrew-Magnaflow Exhaust, Airmax intake, 33" Terra grapplers
            '98 Satin black CSVT #3107- Portmatched 3L, Quaife lsd and more SOLD 10/28/12
            99 Tgreen/Tan CSVT Ported 3L, Koni/GC's, and more to come.

Comment

Early 99's are return-style, so check that first.
              2000 Roush Cougar MTX V6
              2003 SVT Focus ZX3 #2370
              2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
              2008 Mustang Bullitt # 5389

Comment

It has been a few years since I've been on but I'll give this a whirl.
                Within a given year or two almost all of those PCMs are capable of supporting all the hardware found on any car. It is obviously the tune itself that is move important not which PCM you use, aside from a hard wiring issue. I think you should just tune your stock PCM as it will be easier in the long run and can be tuned for any level of modification.
                Did I mention I have a Chevy SS?
                2015 Chevy SS Sedan (6.3L LS3, M6 ATX)
                "...until the next Ford Performance Sedan"

Comment

Ok I've been reading around and I'm pretty sure of the answer. Buddy of mine bought a 00 svt but the body is shot. He wants to take the motor and transplant it into his 99 svt. Which is fine and easy. But the pcm in 00 has a custom tune. He is under the impression he can swap pcm and keys with no issues. But the pcm numbers will be different so I don't believe it'll happen this way.

But he has the xcal with the custom tune with it. Since he has this can he, not sure of the terminology but unmarry the xcal from the 00 pcm. And load the tune into the 99??
                  Thanks for any advice.
                  Last edited by squeek; 02-03-2014, 11:35 AM.
                  98 Silver Frost
                  Full 3.0L
                  ST220 intake w/ f150 tb

Comment

You have to match the fuel systems, so it won't work. He'll have to stick with the 99 PCM

If he wants to sell the 00 PCM, it'll sell quick on neco
                    3L MTX Cougar 35th Edition

Comment

Well both have the returnless system.
                      98 Silver Frost
                      Full 3.0L
                      ST220 intake w/ f150 tb

Comment

Oh, well if that's the case, it should.
                        3L MTX Cougar 35th Edition

Comment

Working...