• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

using cougar ecu in svt.

solo92s10

Hard-core CEG'er
To start my car is a 99 csvt with return less fuel system. Ecu Code mnq2
The ecu I got is out of an 01 cougar return less. Ecu code trw3

I know cougar guys use Svt ecus all the time as long as they stay with the proper fuel system. My main question concerns the fact that my Svt has 4 o2 sensors where the 01 cougar only has 3. How will the cougar ecu function with that idea.

The reason for swapping ecus is that I picked up an xcal 2 that has a custom mail order tune with similar mods and I'm going to swap to 24lb injectors also since the tune is for them. And Im pretty sure I need the cougar ecu (which I got with the tuner) since the tune was written for that specific ecu code.

If this don't work I'll just get my own mail order tune for the Svt ecu but was trying to save a few bucks and get a good baseline tune till I get some dyno time.

In general you have to match the year and options if the PCM is going to work. I have not idea if the pin outs between the two are the same.

Also if you don't know how the cougar was tuned, it might not even run an SVT well, or at all.

Yes if the tune was written for the specific PCM code then you need to use it also.

Honestly, I would just get a tune for your vehicle and go from there.

You also need the PATS chip (to swap in your key) from the donor car if you're going to swap ECU's. I would save your money and get a new tune of your own. Less problems for sure.

Make sure the pin-out is the same (I think it is very close, something like 3 different pins between the two, the cougar with an extra low fuel warning, and the contour with the extra O2). The ECU harness can be "re-pinned" if you're up for it.

Other than the pinout, if you know all of the tune details, and they match your configuration, you may be able to use it.

Having an extra O2 wont be a problem (no CEL), but you may want to make sure that the unused O2 gets unplugged, or that the corresponding pins aren't used for something else on the Cougar PCM (If you're lucky, you may actually be able to turn the missing O2 on in the tune). The thing is, the cougar has one down stream O2 that can sniff both bank's exhaust, the SVT's down stream O2s can only sniff their own bank. So, if you only use one down stream o2, it'd be best to move it in-between the y-pipe collector and the main cat. If you have headers/gutted pre-cats, then just turn the downstream O2s off.

Since your car is returnless, there may be a few less variables than the return style cars. For instance you know you have only one type of knock sensor, and that it actually does exist. IIRC, some earlier SVTs were missing a knock sensor.

I'm just regurgitating this information, so take it with a grain of salt. :crazy:

Also, What they said^^

Shouldn't be too hard to find a cheap returnless 99-00 Cougar ECU with a key. Be a lot easier, safer, and more logical than trying to ghetto-rig an 01-02 ECU to work.

Turns out the ecu is from a 99 so I could use it as is if I want. Kinda made my mind up on getting my own custom tunes made up(one for current mods, and 2 for the mods I have ready to install) dunno yet. And I do have a key chip for the ecu.

It has been a few years since I've been on but I'll give this a whirl.
Within a given year or two almost all of those PCMs are capable of supporting all the hardware found on any car. It is obviously the tune itself that is move important not which PCM you use, aside from a hard wiring issue. I think you should just tune your stock PCM as it will be easier in the long run and can be tuned for any level of modification.

Ok I've been reading around and I'm pretty sure of the answer. Buddy of mine bought a 00 svt but the body is shot. He wants to take the motor and transplant it into his 99 svt. Which is fine and easy. But the pcm in 00 has a custom tune. He is under the impression he can swap pcm and keys with no issues. But the pcm numbers will be different so I don't believe it'll happen this way.

But he has the xcal with the custom tune with it. Since he has this can he, not sure of the terminology but unmarry the xcal from the 00 pcm. And load the tune into the 99??
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
You have to match the fuel systems, so it won't work. He'll have to stick with the 99 PCM

If he wants to sell the 00 PCM, it'll sell quick on neco

Back