X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Cable Repair

I recently found out my shift cable end was missing the bushing that secured it to the trans as shown in picture 1. My shifter had alot of play in it, and made engaging gears sometimes difficult. I received a helpful tip from another CEG'er to use some 5/16" washers (I used a total of 3) and a metal retaining clip to secure it. I also found some stiff rubber hose and cut it to length to fit snuggly inside of the plastic shift cable end. This eliminated all of the play, see picture 2. All said and done, this fix works wonders. My shifter feels great again, without any slack. I guess I could have bought the new bushings from ford and swapped them over, but this seems to work just as well. Total cost = $5.00

98 Black CSVT, #2386 of 6535

Thanks for sharing. Necessity is the mother of invention. That looks like as good of a repair can be found.
    Jim Johnson
    98 SVT
    03 Escape Limited
    10 Fusion Sport

Comment

I posted in a reply to another thread

I posted in a reply to another thread but I had an extra set of sway bar end link bushings laying around and cut one down to fit * side to side shift cable * and there is no play there either I used a plastic epoxy some of the 5 minute stuff which made it stick to the inside of the plastic sleeve pretty well, since the inside diameter was a tight fit I secured the outside with two zip strips worked like a charm for me. May do the front to back section tomorrow even though it doesn't look or feel to bad.
      99 SVT #341
      03 Vert GT triple black combo w/Roush kit-traded in on a 06 honda accord
      03 Hemi Ram-traded with accord in on an 07 Ridgeline.
      84 Mustang SVO
      88 Turbocoupe

Comment

It will work until you get a new end link. Still too much play IMO.
        Former owner of '98 SVT #1,173. Need a 95-00 Ford CD manual? PM me

Comment

if you look straight down from the brake fluid resivour, will you see this bolt?
          Custom interior
          17" Excel Maj's Gunmetal
          15% Tint
          3L Escape 3.0 20k
          Xcal 3 from nautilus performance
          MSDS headers
          trubendz 3" test pipe with Magnaflow Cat
          cherry bomb resonator
          knauberized
          hightowers w/ eyelids
          stazi g2 grilles

Comment

I just got a new cable end. I think my dealer wanted $13 and I talked him down to $10. I think bill jenkins has them for like $7.
            2011 Hyundai Accent
            Sold: 98.5 SVT-187whp
            96 ATX Zetec-Scrapped after 2 wrecks
            FS: $100 off $200 or more SPEC purchase

Comment

Originally posted by S2Knott View Post
              if you look straight down from the brake fluid resivour, will you see this bolt?
              Can't say for sure without looking, and my car isn't with me right now, but I don't think you can, too much stuff above it. Just take the wheel off.
              2011 Hyundai Accent
              Sold: 98.5 SVT-187whp
              96 ATX Zetec-Scrapped after 2 wrecks
              FS: $100 off $200 or more SPEC purchase

Comment

my shift cable bushing broke off tonight and left me stranded and unable to get into gear so I found a washer and used a zip tie. No problems since.

Comment

Don't consider the zip tie as anything other than temporary.
                  Jim Johnson
                  98 SVT
                  03 Escape Limited
                  10 Fusion Sport

Comment

I have been having the same prob with my most recent CSVT till today. Got it up in the air and work and sure enough that first pic in this thread was what I had. I actally made a new bushing kinda sorta with a old fuel line discconect and some rubber tape around it. Slid right into place and with a Cotter pin on the end I'm back to good as new. No 2 inches of front to back shifter play anymore!
                    99 T-Red CSVT #2300-Sold
                    94 Cobra 5.0-Sold
                    99 Black CSVT #2200-Sold...
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2528810

Comment

I don't know why ppl just don't buy a new end unless you have the later style. They're pretty cheap and last at least 100k.

Comment

Originally posted by todras View Post
                        I don't know why ppl just don't buy a new end unless you have the later style. They're pretty cheap and last at least 100k.
                        Ford still sells the black cable end that selects shift forks, but the white one that puts the car into gear is no longer abailable. I had to buy a complete cable assembly, took a bit of time to install but it was worth it.

~Mike~
                        1998 T-Red E1 SVT
                        MSDS Headers, Subframe Connectors, Bilstein Dampers, BAT Springs, Braided Steel Brake Lines, Traction Control

Comment

Originally posted by r-code View Post
                          Ford still sells the black cable end that selects shift forks, but the white one that puts the car into gear is no longer abailable. I had to buy a complete cable assembly, took a bit of time to install but it was worth it.

~Mike~
                          I won't believe that until it comes from Bill Jenkins. I was told that I had to purchase the entire cable set over three years ago, but Bill was able to supply.
                          Jim Johnson
                          98 SVT
                          03 Escape Limited
                          10 Fusion Sport

Comment

If you can't find one then you're not asking the right person. Ppl have recently posted that they have purchased them individually.

Comment

My bushing was toast. A small piece was still in place, but getting into 1st gear was not reliable.
                              The ridge on my cable made pulling the old end off difficult enough I cut it off with a rotary tool with a saw blade.

3 cuts:
                              One on each side of the orange clip, so I could cut into the clip instead of the cable end, allowed the bulk of the old bushing to be removed (snapped off).
                              Pliers were able to pull out the remanats of the orange clip.
                              One more across the top (button side) of the remaining square ring of white plastic, allowed pliers to twist off the remaining bit.

I did not smooth the ridge on the cable end, the new end slid on with very little resistance.

Trying to get the end off with pliers and tin snips was futile. Cutting it worked, but I was very careful of not touching the cable end w the blade.

Total cost, less than $20. Time spent, less than 1 hour.

Removing the wheel would have helped, I think. I did the job with the car on some low-profile ramps.

I was told the black part was "obsolete". Thankfully, the white one was the only failed one.

Erbid
                              1998 E0
                              140,000 miles 3 engines, second clutch (shelled center, snapped near splines)
                              now with baffles and windage tray in the oil pan

Comment

Working...
                              X