• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shift Cable Repair

mart_svt

CEG'er
I recently found out my shift cable end was missing the bushing that secured it to the trans as shown in picture 1. My shifter had alot of play in it, and made engaging gears sometimes difficult. I received a helpful tip from another CEG'er to use some 5/16" washers (I used a total of 3) and a metal retaining clip to secure it. I also found some stiff rubber hose and cut it to length to fit snuggly inside of the plastic shift cable end. This eliminated all of the play, see picture 2. All said and done, this fix works wonders. My shifter feels great again, without any slack. I guess I could have bought the new bushings from ford and swapped them over, but this seems to work just as well. Total cost = $5.00 :laugh:

dcp9908xhj2.jpg

dcp9910sy0.jpg

I posted in a reply to another thread

I posted in a reply to another thread

I posted in a reply to another thread but I had an extra set of sway bar end link bushings laying around and cut one down to fit * side to side shift cable * and there is no play there either I used a plastic epoxy some of the 5 minute stuff which made it stick to the inside of the plastic sleeve pretty well, since the inside diameter was a tight fit I secured the outside with two zip strips worked like a charm for me. May do the front to back section tomorrow even though it doesn't look or feel to bad.

I just got a new cable end. I think my dealer wanted $13 and I talked him down to $10. I think bill jenkins has them for like $7.

my shift cable bushing broke off tonight and left me stranded and unable to get into gear so I found a washer and used a zip tie. No problems since.

I have been having the same prob with my most recent CSVT till today. Got it up in the air and work and sure enough that first pic in this thread was what I had. I actally made a new bushing kinda sorta with a old fuel line discconect and some rubber tape around it. Slid right into place and with a Cotter pin on the end I'm back to good as new. No 2 inches of front to back shifter play anymore!
IMG_2670.jpg

I don't know why ppl just don't buy a new end unless you have the later style. They're pretty cheap and last at least 100k.

I don't know why ppl just don't buy a new end unless you have the later style. They're pretty cheap and last at least 100k.
Ford still sells the black cable end that selects shift forks, but the white one that puts the car into gear is no longer abailable. I had to buy a complete cable assembly, took a bit of time to install but it was worth it.

~Mike~

Ford still sells the black cable end that selects shift forks, but the white one that puts the car into gear is no longer abailable. I had to buy a complete cable assembly, took a bit of time to install but it was worth it.

~Mike~

I won't believe that until it comes from Bill Jenkins. I was told that I had to purchase the entire cable set over three years ago, but Bill was able to supply.

If you can't find one then you're not asking the right person. Ppl have recently posted that they have purchased them individually.

My bushing was toast. A small piece was still in place, but getting into 1st gear was not reliable.
The ridge on my cable made pulling the old end off difficult enough I cut it off with a rotary tool with a saw blade.

3 cuts:
One on each side of the orange clip, so I could cut into the clip instead of the cable end, allowed the bulk of the old bushing to be removed (snapped off).
Pliers were able to pull out the remanats of the orange clip.
One more across the top (button side) of the remaining square ring of white plastic, allowed pliers to twist off the remaining bit.

I did not smooth the ridge on the cable end, the new end slid on with very little resistance.

Trying to get the end off with pliers and tin snips was futile. Cutting it worked, but I was very careful of not touching the cable end w the blade.

Total cost, less than $20. Time spent, less than 1 hour.

Removing the wheel would have helped, I think. I did the job with the car on some low-profile ramps.

I was told the black part was "obsolete". Thankfully, the white one was the only failed one.

Erbid
1998 E0
140,000 miles 3 engines, second clutch (shelled center, snapped near splines)
now with baffles and windage tray in the oil pan

FYI...I have the same issue. Luckily I still had one of the 3 cables from.my old Cavalier sitting around. Bushing are exactly the same. If you cant find the contour ones, use cavalier ones instead.

According to my Ford dealer this last Saturday, the black cable end is obsolete. I did manage to get the white one at least. I'm hoping that it is the white one that wears out the most.
Karl

If you ever need OEM parts like this go to fordpartsgiant.com, I had this happen to me a while back and got the cable end for like $12 shipped. Also having the p/n will help you with the site.

Back