• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RWD transmission for Duratec V6?

Census FBS uses a Duratec and RWD trans. ;)
http://www.fbscars.co.uk/
orig.jpg

PROD5_ENGINE_BAY.jpg

Right on, thanks for the link. I'm guessing it's a getrag 221, but I've emailed them to see if they'd tell me what they actually use.

Just to "give" you guys what I've found so far is....

The getrag 221 will work in a RWD Duratec setup, though they come with a very low first gear ratio of 4:23:1.... which is f'ing low. I've read that any BMW performance shop is able to build these transmissions to handle a good amount of power and withstand moderate abuse for a bit longer than an OEM unit. In OEM form, they cannot handle any worth while torque and will need to be built.
I'll have to check again, but I *think* a hybrid clutch setup has to be used. Something like a Jag clutch disc has to be used with a LS (or maybe even a Contour) PP and FW. Like I said, I have to double check on that.
This is why I've been trying to find an alternative, like using a custom bellhousing and a T5 or any other beefy 5 or 6 speed.

There is also another option, but I didn't write down the exact model number since the Linc's went through tons of variants of slushboxes it's crazy. But, there was a V6 LS that used the same model of automatic that was used in the Mustang GT. I read this on one of the LS forums, but haven't given it much thought. A built version MIGHT be able to be put together, but that would only be good for a drag car IMO.

Food for thought. Enjoy

The Lincoln LS (and I believe the Jag S type) does use a five speed automatic that is also used on other Ford products, including the Explorer.

It is not a strong trans and in my opinion not worthy of building for high performance use.

The Lincoln LS (and I believe the Jag S type) does use a five speed manual that is also used on other Ford products, including the Explorer.

It is not a strong trans and in my opinion not worthy of building for high performance use.

Fixed......

Right on, thanks for the link. I'm guessing it's a getrag 221, but I've emailed them to see if they'd tell me what they actually use.

Just to "give" you guys what I've found so far is....

The getrag 221 will work in a RWD Duratec setup, though they come with a very low first gear ratio of 4:23:1.... which is f'ing low. I've read that any BMW performance shop is able to build these transmissions to handle a good amount of power and withstand moderate abuse for a bit longer than an OEM unit. In OEM form, they cannot handle any worth while torque and will need to be built.
I'll have to check again, but I *think* a hybrid clutch setup has to be used. Something like a Jag clutch disc has to be used with a LS (or maybe even a Contour) PP and FW. Like I said, I have to double check on that.
This is why I've been trying to find an alternative, like using a custom bellhousing and a T5 or any other beefy 5 or 6 speed.

There is also another option, but I didn't write down the exact model number since the Linc's went through tons of variants of slushboxes it's crazy. But, there was a V6 LS that used the same model of automatic that was used in the Mustang GT. I read this on one of the LS forums, but haven't given it much thought. A built version MIGHT be able to be put together, but that would only be good for a drag car IMO.

Food for thought. Enjoy

I was responding to his post about "slushboxes" and "automatic"

No correction was needed.

The one I read about was used in the Mustang GT, only a different case. IIRC, it has a 55 in the model number....... I'll look up my info again and show you guys what i found to clear up my clouded info

Was going to ask this exact question myself but a search yielded me this thread. Any other info on this? If not then there are some Vulcan rwd transmissions out there that might be adapted and of course the SHO engine can take a T-5 transmission if you could ever get a SHO motor in there and wired up correctly. But if you're converting to rwd you are probably doing enough work already where going with the Yamaha might not be very much more work if any as far as mounting is concerned.

Godfrey was on the right track way back when on his XR. The best way to do it, is a custom bellhousing for a one of the tremec transmissions, depending on what you want. T5, 3550, T56 etc.

That induction system on that roadster needs some serious overhauling. Aka an IM that places the TB mount in a good spot, not the worst spot possible.

Godfrey was on the right track way back when on his XR. The best way to do it, is a custom bellhousing for a one of the tremec transmissions, depending on what you want. T5, 3550, T56 etc.

I figured that was what it took for the duratec. I imagine a custom bell for a T-5 would be pretty easy for a competent machine shop. So what sort of rearends could be put in these cars then? A TII from a RX-7 would be effing sweet if the dimensions worked out.

The best way to do it, is a custom bellhousing for a one of the tremec transmissions, depending on what you want. T5, 3550, T56 etc.

Just make an adapter plate for the gearbox end of the stock d-tec bellhousing and run a custom clutch disc with mustang splines and bolt up a t5. You'll be able to keep the stock TOB, starter and all wiring. You will have to machine the flywheel for a pilot bearing, not a big deal though.

But what would i know. :shrug: ;)

Last edited:
Just make an adapter plate for the gearbox end of the stock d-tec bellhousing and run a custom clutch disc with mustang splines and bolt up a t5. You'll be able to keep the stock TOB, starter and all wiring. You will have to machine the flywheel for a pilot bearing, not a big deal though.

But what would i know. :shrug: ;)

Lol even better. Any suggestions on what rearends would work well or do you not know that either?

lol :)

Not sure why I'm even asking this, I just think that a CSVT with a built motor and rwd would be the ultimate sleeper and I'd love to do it one day depending on whether I keep my Cobra or not.

Lol even better. Any suggestions on what rearends would work well or do you not know that either?

lol :)

Not sure why I'm even asking this, I just think that a CSVT with a built motor and rwd would be the ultimate sleeper and I'd love to do it one day depending on whether I keep my Cobra or not.

Agreed!

hmm i do need to put a new engine to the svt....

poles on the right track.

i like to take on challenges one at a time. get the trans to mate up then worry about the rear. im guessing it would all have to be custom. along with a fuel cell to have clearance for the rear end. as a backyarder this type of project is out of my reach without a machine shop. plus cost is too much for me at the moment. tho if i am going to go through the trouble of it i might as well step up one and squeeze a v8 in and go Rwd. but i can always dream.

didnt burrita make a adapter to put the t5 to the duratec for his customers 240 build?

The V8 SHO engine would be effing sick for this swap. It is all aluminum as well and shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the duratec. Its also OBDII and is very similar to the Duratecs as they shared some design characteristics. You ALSO get that great sounding V8 rumble and they mod as well at least as the Duratecs.

New welded V8 SHO from NESHO with low compression pistons, adapter for a T-5 or whatever you want, fab up an intake to mount a M90 onto it(already been done a few times) put a good IRS into it and wire the mother up. Huge project but NOBODY would have a car like yours.

I need to lay off the testors glue...

Lol, this is wishful thinking for far in the future. I already have a car that'll blow away most things I'll come across on the road, even more so when I put a shot of juice on it to get deep into the 11s. Probably will never happen but always fun to dream.

You could find a cheap Mark 8.

A 1993 Mark 8 was sold for a few hundred dollars here and it has the all aluminum 4.6 32 Valve V8 with about 300 HP stock, plus the IRS which would be much better than a sho motor. It is a tough center section with posi available, and a new billet cover for added strength. Hell, you could use the 4 speed automatic if you really wanted a family car. Shorten the driveshaft, add the wiring harness, and watch what happens. I owned several Mark 8s and they were fast, quiet, and quite different. You would also get the 5 lug wheels and big brakes.

The dimensions seem right, the torque would be amazing, and it will mate up to a mustang trans no problem.

Amazingly my Mark 8 used to get better gas mileage on the highway than the Contour. It was turning around 2000 rpm at 70 mph.

Then you would have a real sleeper. 4 - Door mustang basically.

Keep in mind you can also get a 95 - ? Lincoln Continental and get the same 32 valve V8 motor.

Back