X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RWD transmission for Duratec V6?

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a RWD manual transmission the duratec V6 will mate up to? I know of David Godfrey's XR4Ti that has a 3L mated to a T5 (with a one off flywheel and bellhousing adapter plate...), but I'd like to find something that can adapt a bit more easily if I can.

TIA
    2012 Mustang GT w/ Brembo Pkg
    1965 Buick Skylark GS
    1964 Chevrolet Impala SS

Lincoln LS trans?
    Jim Hahn
    1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour
    1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 Sold
    3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
    364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm

Comment

RX7 TT trannies work, at least on a Miata.

http://www.miata.net/news/v6.html
      2013 Dodge Dart 1.4T/6mt
      Viper powered project with father
      99SE traded in 04/13

Comment

Yeah, the 3L MT would work. I'll have to see how much power they can handle.

The RX7 trans had to be adpated. I'm looking for a straight across fitment with no mods or next to none.
        1965 Buick Skylark GS
        1964 Chevrolet Impala SS

Comment

Awesome, finally not a new guy coming on the forum and asking what V-12 twin turbo engine and AWD drive train can I add to my se contour.

Good luck
          2000 Black SVT with 114k Build # 1598 1\14\2000 Parting Out
          1998 SE with 99K Daily Driver
          98.5 Black SVT with 47k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 crashed... fixing
          2002 Jeep Wrangler X 3" lift with 33 by 12.5

Comment

I'm pretty sure for it to be a direct bolt-up to the LS trans, you need to have the LS/S-type block.

I think whatever you want to use, will require a custom bellhousing or intermediate plate to allow things to bolt together.
            rarasvt@comcast.net

Comment

I should be able to use the getrag 221 used by the LS/S-type. It shares the same pressure plate as the x-type, but they use different clutches.

I came across a guy who's converting an x-type to RWD, and it mated up to his 3L. Not 100% on X-types sharing the same bellhousing pattern as the Duratec V6's Contiques use. The 221 needs to be built to handle any decent power, but they do have upgrades that are available.

Hopefully I hear back from Godfrey about his sources to make the goodies to use a T5.....
              1965 Buick Skylark GS
              1964 Chevrolet Impala SS

Comment

What is this going into anyway? The first rwd tour or what?
                2013 Dodge Dart 1.4T/6mt
                Viper powered project with father
                99SE traded in 04/13

Comment

Not sure yet really. Once I can mate a 3L to a good RWD transmission, I can go from there
                  1965 Buick Skylark GS
                  1964 Chevrolet Impala SS

Comment

Someone on NECO had found the AWD "transfer case" from the Euro Mondeo and it shows our trans have all the holes and such to bolt it up. Of course I can't find the thread right now, because the forums are STILL down over there.
                    1999 Black Mercury Cougar V6 MTX "Sonic" - Future HPDE/Time Attack machine
                    1999 Silver Mercury Cougar V6 MTX "Silver" - Future Summer Daily Driver
                    1989 White Jeep Cherokee I6 4x4 "Tails" - Winter Daily Driver/Off-road adventuremobile

Comment

Pictures of the AWD stuff (Oh, I wonder why I have this)
                      Compliments of drewmanfu0 @ NECO

BTW it costs around $600 dollars via boat to the port of DC (wait.. I live in DC..) from englands port to send a 4x4 mondeo ghia. Oh, and when you get the ghia for $600 it seals the deal. Of course, this is just "imaginary" importing. The rear end can handle 200 ft/lbs, with the power distribution of 60/40 F/R respectively it will never see that from a 3L. Besides, if you want more, im sure Terry will be happy to do some HMS rear-end work..

Rear subframe, note similarities

I mean, I GUESS you can settle for AWD, its not RWD, but I wouldn't be splitting hairs here

Comment

Thanks for the look out, but I'm avoiding anything transveresed mounted (which is why I didn't post thins in the transaxel forum and not sure why this was moved there.... but what do I know?)
                        Last edited by Swazo; 05-09-2007, 09:58 AM. Reason: Had to take cheap stab at mod who moved my stuff ;)
                        1965 Buick Skylark GS
                        1964 Chevrolet Impala SS

Comment

Originally posted by azbobbybooshay10 View Post
                          Someone on NECO had found the AWD "transfer case" from the Euro Mondeo and it shows our trans have all the holes and such to bolt it up. Of course I can't find the thread right now, because the forums are STILL down over there.

Visteon was the company that makes the AWD system for the Duratec's used in the Jags and Mondeo's.
                          2000 Light Sapphire Blue Cougar | V6 | MTx
                          '01 unmarked CVPI

Comment

Originally posted by stealthy3L View Post
                            Pictures of the AWD stuff
                            Must....see....more...
                            99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - PRT street driven track #&$% - 13.904 at 102.58 | 98 SVT - PRT RWD conversion project car
                            00 ROUSH Cougar - SOLD | 02 SVTF - New toy and R&D car. Future RWD?

Owner/operator PRT www.prtautosport.com
                            Follow development of CDW-27 performance parts: http://www.facebook.com/PRTautosport

Comment

I realize this thread has been dead for a month, but I just found something that may be of interest.

http://rs584.securehostserver.com/~q...mid=1&vmcchk=1
                              99 Contour SVT

Comment

Working...
                              X