• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need a trans seal

svtfixer

Veteran CEG'er
Does anyone have one of these seals in hand or a correct part number for them? I went through a long list of wrong numbers today, this is aggrevating.

this is the input shaft but i saw some call it the driveshaft seal.

Attachments

• photo15788.JPG
    photo15788.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
No Title

ok got an answer for anyone who wants to know also. this seal is on the back of the slave. i had a case with a piece of the slave stuck in the case with a slave on top of it confusing the situation.

Attachments

• photo15789.jpg
    photo15789.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Thank you for the excellent pictures and the superb advice!!! info like you present is extremely helpful, as I suspect others will also be facing this situation and be scratching their head as well.

this was a weird one. trans stuff usually is detective work. its probably easy to over look this like i did. the weird thing is that trans came from a transmission shop which i actually hard several arguments with and suspected all along they were not reputable. maybe its acceptable to overlay them? im not as experienced as a shop and dont nessecarily specialize but ive done several clutches, differentials, gut swaps etc i suspect this was the issues all along.

I was thinking that there was not a seal for this location but was not positive. Yes the TOB will seal the transmission. Early TOBs did have an o-ring on them. It has since been removed and anaerobic sealer, not black RTV should be used on the back of the TOB to create the seal. I recall reading about the seal over on FCO in some post Terry made.

No Title

never used it. always used rtv..this is the right stuff?

Attachments

• photo15819.jpg
    photo15819.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
Anaerobic seal will only set in the absence of oxygen. This means it doesn't set if it leaks out from between the flange its being applied to. The RTV sets no matter what. use to much and a chunk could end up in your transmission ...

that somehow doesnt concern me haha. anyways, this thing needs a prep/applicator that the store doesnt have.. that sounds like a must use right?

I just put my transmission back together with that sealer and it has no leaks and I did not use the prep. Just cleaned it up with some carb cleaner and applied it.

in the directions it mentions the prep applicator but whatever. anyways:

This clarifies things. NICE! I thought I saw someone post that it needs to go BEHIND the TOB, which seemed a little confusing.

So, the sealer needs to be added onto the REAR of the SLAVE CYLINDER, where it is in contact with the bell housing.

Very helpful. I just blew mine and will be replacing it soon.

Back