• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Which Trans Oil?

captastic

CEG'er
What's the recommended Trans oil for a 200 SVT with a Torsen LSD? Penzoil Synchromesh? Royal Purple? Ford with Ford Honey?

Having the Torsen doesn't change the recommended fluids to my knowledge. Search around but the recommended order is"

Ford "Honey"
Royal Purple Syncromax
10w-40 diesel motor oil (iirc)

Really an intelligent question. I do not know - I can contact Royal Purple Tech Support. This is who I contacted when I discovered the 2012 ~ 2013 catalog showed a change from Syncromax to HPS 10w-40.

I cant imagine a thicker viscosity then syncromax in the winter. i had to use both hands to get into gear sometimes even after warming up the car.

(Untitled)

What would Terry H say about this news.... I need to put my built tranny in soon and debating on fluid to use as well. Was going with RP but which one

What would Terry H say about this news.... I need to put my built tranny in soon and debating on fluid to use as well. Was going with RP but which one
If you click on the link contour_r_us posted, TH makes comments...

In that link the RP Tech stated that RP Synchromesh is more akin to 20w oil...so the 10-40w recommendation is actually lighter.

Sorry I didn't clarify.... Wondering on if anyone has used any of the 10-40 oils RP recommends with any positive difference. Got a Quaife in my replacement tranny.

Royal Purple HPS 10W-40 (part #31140, quart bottle)
Royal Purple Max Cycle 10W-40 (part #01315, quart bottle)
Royal Purple XPR 10W-40 (part #01041, quart bottle)

Here is what RP has to say about the various 10W-40 oils they make as well as why Synchromax is no longer on this chart of theirs. I am not satisfied with the response, as I wanted to know why the change with the 2012 - 2013 RP Chart. RP has had 10W-40 oils for some time; what caused the switch in their recommendation was the specific question I asked of RP.

"I have only been in the tech department here at Royal Purple since May of 2011, however unless it was a race application the MTX-75 transaxle recommendation has always been a 10W-40 performance oil. I’m not sure if that was changed from before because I was not here, though my supervisor Chris has been here 2 ½ years longer than me and he indicated it has been that way for a good while.

The 10W-40 recommendation is what best matches the original Ford fluid viscosity, this matters because shift feel, smoothness and quietness are best optimized this way. There is no question Synchromax works and has more than enough protection, but it may not feel correct as it is closer to a light 20 weight on the engine scale. We used to recommend our old formula SAE API-SL street oil 10W-40, but that is now an API-SN and as a result of the SN chemistry restrictions it now has less anti wear additive than we feel is appropriate for gear box usage.
Any of our performance 10W-40 oils will work great in the Ford MTX-75.
Royal Purple HPS 10W-40 (part #31140, quart bottle)
Royal Purple Max Cycle 10W-40 (part #01315, quart bottle)
Royal Purple XPR 10W-40 (part #01041, quart bottle)

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!"

Jim Morrissey
Technical Services/Automotive
Royal Purple, Inc.

i would go with ford honey. you cant go wrong there! ive had my tranny out twice and both times i put in ford honey. i recently had a track day at teh local track and high speed shift were smoother than silk. i was surprised myself.

Back