• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shift cable locking clip?

I broke the ball on my shifter a while back. Had it welded up, it's been doing fine. When I was in the process of installing it again, I found a spring and a black clip, for lack of a better term, laying down by the shifter. The clip is a 4 prong style that has two of the prongs broken off. My cable has been coming off of the shifter lately when hitting gears quickly. I found out where that clip goes now. It comes into the back side of the cable to hold the cable onto the shifter. First question is, where can I find that clip? Question number 2, does that spring go in there as well? It is tapered and it appears as if the big end would fit on the ball that is on the shifter. Just curious as to whether or not that goes in there or not. Thanks for your help in advance.

No Title

Sorry for the quality of the pictures. But hopefully this will give you an idea of what I am talking about. It is supposed to have 4 tabs, not 2. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo15967.jpg
    photo15967.jpg
    826.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo15968.jpg
    photo15968.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo15969.jpg
    photo15969.jpg
    841.4 KB · Views: 0
NO way to get a replacement. The original was that button with the spring under the head to give tension on it away from the shift lever ball. It was released by gently pushing on the button when removing the cable end.

My fix was to make 4 pieces to push into the "eye" on the end of the shift cable from industrial sized zip ties. cut 4 pieces the length of the old clips prongs. The plastic tie I used was a nice snug fit in the cable end windows. I also bent one end and melted it a little with a lighter to make a tab for the shift ball side when they are installed. I pressed it back onto the ball after filling the 4 "windows" where the old clips prongs fit thru. It never came off after that and the current owner hasn't had trouble either.

Back