• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Transmission oil cooler lines o-rings

jbarner

CEG'er
Not sure this is the right area..

I am debating (strongly) on replacing my transmission oil cooler lines with new OEM ford lines - I have never had a radiator splash shield so they are rusting pretty badly where they attach under the radiator.

Looking at all data repair instructions they mention new o-rings on the lines..anyone have part numbers or any idea where I can get suitable o-rings for these? And I am assuming there will be o-rings on both ends?

Also if anyone knows the flare wrench size off the top of their head that would help too :p

But mostly need info (since I cant find any) on the o-rings for these hoses @_@ - 99 ford contour LX just incase I don't have my car info posted (2.0 L)

The Ford shop manual says O-rings are only on the ends of the tubes that go into the cooler in the radiator. You should be able to order/get the O-rings at the dealership. Any old O-ring may be a bad idea, as the wrong material will guarantee a leak. Even Ford/Helm shop manuals don't have part numbers, this is a dealership parts counter lookup.

From the shop manual, these tubes look like complete assemblies from the transaxle to the radiator. Have you checked to see if they're even still available? Typically beyond 10 model years, parts like this become Unobtanium from the dealers. You might find them at one of the suppliers that buy up old dealer parts stock. If you have the Ford part numbers of the hose assemblies, you could try searching at https://www.partsvoice.com

Thanks for the advice - i'll try a local ford for the o-rings. The lines themselves are on ebay (and probably other generic ford seller websites) for 30-40$ a pop so I figure its best to get OEM lines rather than cutting and flaring and all that jazz..they are pretty easy to get to (seem to be anyways lol)

I'm a little perplexed as to why the radiator side would require o-rings and not the transaxle side..but i'm not a mechanic (or mechanical engineer) so I won't waste too much brain power trying to comprehend that if it is the case lol

The lines entering the transaxle may use a captive o-ring, similar to the power steering pressure lines. The shop manual was pretty specific that you only turn the fitting tube-nuts at the transaxle and not the larger nuts that are threaded into the transaxle case itself. I haven't dealt with these specific lines, as most all my gearbags are manuals, but the Ford workshop manuals are usually pretty accurate.

Back