• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch release point changed

I have a 2000 CSVT and I replaced the clutch about 30,000 miles ago. Since then, the clutch has changed where it releases at. It currently releases at the very top. Just barely resting your foot on the pedal will cause it to slip. I didn't replace the slave cylinder when putting the new clutch in because of all the horror stories of the new ones going bad. I'm about to install a 3 liter and I would like to know if there is something I need to check while I have everything out. Anything else that might cause this? Thanks in advanced.

Hi; you could try bleeding the clutch before you disassemble ... the thrust bearing may not be retracting all the back Not sure if you can see much if you remove the rubber seal where the hydraulic lines enter the tranny. If luck is on your side, you may be able to insert a lever and see if you can careful apply some pressure to the thrust bearing.... to see if it retracts at all GL ....G.

I've not tried bleeding it yet, but it really doesn't have that feel to it. It's worth a shot. I will also try to get something in there to see if I can move that bearing. Just want to get it figured out while everything is out. I shouldn't have to buy a new clutch with this one just around 30k on it, but I would rather do it now as opposed to redoing it later.

The thinking behind bleeding the clutch is to ensure the fluid is clean in the slave cylinder. A lot of car breakdowns are due to dirt and corrosion.... my suggestions were based on the slave cylinder sticking either inside because of dirty fluid or outside because the slave rubber seal is allowing clutch dust in behind the bearing. You may need to loosen the brake fluid resevior cap to allow the fluid to back up when you try levering the bearing towards its retracted position.... .... G.

Thanks. I will definitely try this soon. Hope to be ordering my 3 liter in the next couple weeks and need to get this figured out. Thanks again.

........according to my workshop manual, the clutch pedal should travel 135mm +/- 5mm from the rest position to flat on the floor.

It says, measure from the pedal to the steering wheel for both positions, then subtract one from the other... remainder should be 135mm for hydraulic clutch..

Might come in handy to measure before and after trying to fix the fault .... G.

Wow, that's pretty detailed. I will do that. Weather has been nasty here and I've not had a chance to do anything yet, but thanks for the help guys. I really do appreciate it.

Ok, I was able to measure the distance on the clutch pedal. It's right at 5 1/2 inches, which converts to 139 millimeters or so. So with the +/-5mm, it appears that is fine. I may try bleeding everything or just replacing the slave cylinder when I'm in there again and bleed it all after that. Are there anymore parts that you guys can think of that could cause this? I'm still going to see if I can figure out if it's releasing completely. Thanks again for all the help.

You have a clutchnet? I bet yet. Mine doesn't have this issue, but i have driven cars that have.

Yes I do have a clutchnet clutch. It's weird though. I haven't done one thing to it and it's been fine for the last couple weeks. No slipping whatsoever. It's really messing with my head at this point. Who knows?

Back