• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speedometer not working.

I just did a 3L swap on my 2000 SVT Contour. First test drive, the speedometer wouldn't do anything most the time, but on occasion, it would bounce up to speed for just a second and back down to nothing. Now, it's not working at all. Any suggestions? The VSS is plugged up. Never had any problems before this swap. Thanks in advance.

Any idea how much trouble it's going to be to replace now that everything is back in the car? It's a big coincidence that it just happened, but if it was already frayed, it may have broken a wire during the change out. Thanks.

Take the vss off the trans spin the needle while its plugged in. Have someone look at the gauge cluster.

Obviously if it does move the gauge, the vss is good. If not, what's next? I still find it odd that it started right after the engine swap. The wires on my vss looked horrible, so I was sure that would fix it. I was wrong.

Alright, I know what the problem is. Now I want your guys advice. I took the metal holder out with the vss because I couldn't get the vss broke loose from it. I know the speedometer gear was in there when I tool that out, now the speedometer gear is nowhere to be found. Not sure if I somehow pushed it down when reinstalling the silver holder that the vss us on or what. I know it's plastic, but whereally do I go from here? I don't want to pull the transmission, hut I also don't want to ruin one either. Does anyone know where I can get a new gear? Thanks for all the help guys.

yea he was the best and part of the team who designed it. Can you provide pics ? I just did a trans swap on a svtc and vss isnt working. I remember the green gear, metal casing.. but no speedometer gear?

The speedometer gear sets down inside the transmission, directly under the VSS. Be careful as to how you put it in though, I know for a fact it cam fall inside the trans. Sorry, I do not have any pics.

Back