Axle (and seal) Replacement ATX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle (and seal) Replacement ATX

So I have to replace the driver side axle on the wife's SE. The question is... should I replace the shaft seal too? Is this an item that is normally changed during axle replacement? Or is it something you wouldn't screw with if it ain't broke/leaking?

my rides;
    04 Marauder. Black MNB 98.5 svt 3.0L. 2000 Silver Frost MNB svt.

I would replace the seal, this is a no-brainer in my mind. As much trouble as an axle swap is, the extra effort and $5 to buy a new seal is well worth the warm fuzzy feeling knowing that you won't have to do the whole damn job again because the old seal starts leaking after it's disturbed.
    I collect Ford's Red-headed step children.
    1985 SVO Mustang (turbocharged track rat)
    1989 Taurus SHO (supercharged track rat)
    1999 SVT Contour (Sedanus-Grocerygetter-Rapidus)
    2008 Mercury Milan Premier (Comfy boat)

Comment

yes thanks, that was how I was leaning. Its just that I'm never too sure about these temperamental contours of ours. This whole job started out as a rack and pinion swap. And of course became more and more, "while I'm in there" and because I tore the boot getting the control arm off. Gotta love it. Thanks again.
      my rides;

Comment

Another axle question.

Can anybody take a look at this and tell me if it looks all the way in. I heard it click and it doesn't come out when I pull. It feels like the circlip is holding it in but it looks to me like its not all the way in. This is for an ATX drivers side. Thanks,

my rides;

Comment

oh well, I'm goin with it as is. Its not coming out of there so I should be good. We'll see
          my rides;

Comment

Working...
          X