• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Axle (and seal) Replacement ATX

Ares

Veteran CEG'er
So I have to replace the driver side axle on the wife's SE. The question is... should I replace the shaft seal too? Is this an item that is normally changed during axle replacement? Or is it something you wouldn't screw with if it ain't broke/leaking?

I would replace the seal, this is a no-brainer in my mind. As much trouble as an axle swap is, the extra effort and $5 to buy a new seal is well worth the warm fuzzy feeling knowing that you won't have to do the whole damn job again because the old seal starts leaking after it's disturbed.

yes thanks, that was how I was leaning. Its just that I'm never too sure about these temperamental contours of ours. This whole job started out as a rack and pinion swap. And of course became more and more, "while I'm in there" and because I tore the boot getting the control arm off. Gotta love it. Thanks again.

Another axle question.

Can anybody take a look at this and tell me if it looks all the way in. I heard it click and it doesn't come out when I pull. It feels like the circlip is holding it in but it looks to me like its not all the way in. This is for an ATX drivers side. Thanks,

Back