• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Short Shift Kit - Where to buy?!

1dkh

New CEG'er
There is lots of talk about replacing the shifter in my 99SVTC, but I can't find anywhere that has the parts! I'm looking to find either a short shift kit, or something that isn't as sloppy as the factory one.

I've looked at B&M's website, I've looked on eBay and Amazon, I've looked at O'Reilly's and Autozone, nothing... Any ideas on where I can find one to buy? I am in the middle of an engine rebuild, so the engine is already pulled out, so any work that I do to it, I want to do while I have that out.. I found a diff repair kit as well as a clutch/flywheel kit that I am going to do while I have it out, but seems impossible to find a shifter kit for it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

no trust me, REPLACE the diff with a aftermarket torsen, qualiff, Team M factory..If you plan on playing with the car even a LITTLE bit..

these cars snap factory diffs on stock power..

Keep a look out for B&M that's what I have and I like it.. no the easiest to find.

shifter has nothing to do with slop.

Well, if you look at the original question, I was asking where to find them, not asking about slop. Regardless, these are literally the sloppiest shifters I've ever encountered. Just looking for something different. And yes, it has a lot to do with slop. Lose cable, bad connections, worn bushings, etc...

Cheap ebay shifters have been known to snap at the bottom.

B&M and Steeda have options. Steeda is technically for the Focus, need a raiser plate to make it work.

..... not a fan of those cut down things ..... makes it look like your transmission has fallen off the car.

I altered my stockie because I kept whacking my hand on the radio when selecting 1st. Just lengthen the rod below the ball fulcrum

Looks completely stock ...you wouldn't know until you shift from 1st to 2nd. Keeps the reverse lockout too......G.

Cheap ebay shifters have been known to snap at the bottom.

B&M and Steeda have options. Steeda is technically for the Focus, need a raiser plate to make it work.

​Forgot to mention that I made sure to have the pivot ball (not sure of the technical name), which was only tack welded, professionally reinforced by a stronger weld before installing. I have full confidence in the structural strength of this unit after this modification.

There was no need for a riser.

​Forgot to mention that I made sure to have the pivot ball (not sure of the technical name), which was only tack welded, professionally reinforced by a stronger weld before installing. I have full confidence in the structural strength of this unit after this modification.

There was no need for a riser.

Yes, the cheap ebay shifters when welded are much better. Just to many stories in the past of them breaking.

The raiser plate is for the Steeda shifter only. All the ebay shifters are normally knockoffs of the B&M. The B&M is not a true short shifter, it only decreases the length of the shifter above the pivot point. The Steeda on the other hand shortens the shifter above the pivot point and lengthens is below. And since it was made for the Focus and not the Contour, it needs a raiser plate so it doesn't hit the floor of the car.

http://www.steedafocus.com/steeda-focus-svt-short-throw-shifter-02-04-svt-555-7233/

Back