• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why I would NOT recommend CLUTCHNET

az5oh

CEG'er
I am back to square one, folks. The last week of March, after reviewing lots of research on potential clutches on CEG, I called Clutchnet and easily placed an order for a stage 3 clutch. Based on the research of Clutchnet's quality, the price ($487), I thought this would be the best option by far for my 3L install. I purchased an OEM slave cylinder and Fidanza flywheel to go with the new clutch. When I placed the clutch order, Oleg told me that he would have it to me in two weeks.

I gave Oleg until the first week of May (4.5 weeks from date of order) and called and left a message. No response. A couple of days later, I emailed. No response. Finally last week, after calling/emailing/leaving multiple messages, I did get Oleg to answer by calling at 9:30 EST. He promised it would be shipped the next day. The next day, I did received an email from USPS saying that Clutchnet had started the process for shipment, but hadn't dropped the package off yet. The tracking number STILL says that it hasn't been dropped off to the post office. Needless to say, I've had it and am going to try a different brand (likely a SACHS or LUK) and file a refund request with my bank. I am also calling the California Attorney General's office and reporting Clutchnet to them. Having now done a lot more research on the company, I've found many other reviews on other vehicle forums and on their Facebook page with similar issues.

Just my .02 from an EXTREMELY pissed customer who has been delayed for a month because of this experience.

Yep customer service and speed is not the strong suites, you'll see that is the case if you searched. Still the quality seems to be top tier.

I've bought a stage 2+ from Spec before. They send out fast. It's still working in good shape after 2 years of abuse.:grin: My luk ones couldn't even last a full year.

I see now he calls himself californiaclutch.com

I had a similar experience with one of clutchnet's Contour clutches. The pressure plate and cover were fine, and I think their sprung hub disc and carrier are a good, strong design, but I asked for a sport/street fiber-carbon sprung hub disc. Now I know that their "fiber-carbon" linings are actually Fiber Tuff linings, which I've used extensively in the past and they have made very durable and friendly clutch linings for my Taurus SHO.

Months and months passed, and Oleg kept telling me he couldn't get the Fiber Tuff linings, so I finally relented and accepted a disc with Fiber Tuff on one side and organic on the other.

When it finally showed up, the disc was badly warped. I took it to the fellow who has been building clutches for me for over 20 years, he agreed about the disc warp, got on the phone and found two new W909C Fiber Tuff linings at his supplier, we ordered them and had them the next week. Why couldn't clutchnet find these linings?

Then Roger carefully drilled off the Fiber Tuff and organic linings installed by clutchnet, the Marcel was a mess, it had been inexpertly double-drilled (see the pics) and the holes weren't de-burred, which is why it warped the linings. Roger cleaned it up, de-burred the holes and de-warped the Marcel, then installed the new Fiber Tuff linings on both sides. This cost me another $185 on top of clutchnet's bill ($490.50...), but at least now I have an un-warped disc with the linings I originally wanted. I've never spent near $700 on just a clutch for anything in my fleet.

I cannot recommend clutchnet or californiaclutches.

Click the thumbnails for larger pictures.

Wow that stinks, my clutch is beastly, easy to drive holds all the power.

ZLuuo2T.jpg

C2IjTRz.jpg

I've bought a stage 2+ from Spec before. They send out fast. It's still working in good shape after 2 years of abuse.:grin: My luk ones couldn't even last a full year.
Spec is probably the worst clutch money can buy. I'd consider yourself lucky it hasn't grenaded yet.
IVH90ge.jpg

Ans6Rdf.jpg

So do we have a actual verdict on what clutches actually don't suck other than OEM?? Im going to 3l soon and im at this point where Im looking at aftermarket stuff and not having much luck?? I hear mixed reviews almost everywhere I look, archives, recent stuff, newedgecougar.org....e.t.c.

I Just want something that will handle street abuse and a 3L I was going to go stage 3 clutchnet.. but I dunno now im second guessing it..

I have the clutchnet stage 3 on mine, holds the power of my turbo 3.0 great, and I am going on 4 years or so. I feel some chatter on initial release but it holds the power. Too bad they are not accessible like before.

Yep customer service and speed is not the strong suites, you'll see that is the case if you searched. Still the quality seems to be top tier.

I'll be painfully honest here; I read similar things about the quality (hence why I placed the order to begin with) and also the customer service on CEG (tho my impression of the customer service was that it was bad, but not as bad as I am experiencing). Many of these CEG posts are from 5 to 7+ years ago. Looking at Facebook reviews and online reviews for other sites yielded more recent results since my troubles, and I have yet to find one that is positive. I definitely wish I had looked at non-CEG forums for more reviews before ordering so that I could've better determined the actual scale of the customer service problem. I also wish that Oleg had not lied to me 1.5 weeks ago when he told me it was shipping the next day, when it clearly has not shipped yet. First rule of a good clutch is that it actually has to show up to be installed.

In the Contour SVT FB group, several folks running 3Ls have recommended LUK and SACHS, though the reviews on CEG (also all 5-7+ years old) are very mixed on those two options. I was not aware that SPEC was even still available as an option.

I too am just looking for something that's is going to hold up. I do not race my car, but I do not want to have to worry about it slipping 10,000 miles after I get it in.

As the aftermarket vendors dwindle to near zero for these cars, it's hard to know who to recommend. As someone who spent quite a few years learning from other clutch rebuilders, and I finally just started building my own clutches for my supercharged Taurus SHO, I'm likely to notice more stuff wrong than most folks do. Oleg/clutchnet/californiaclutches.com seems to have a good product, and my experience with a warped disc seems to be rare, if not one-off.

SPEC clutches seem to run hot and cold, depending on the car and the automotive forums you frequent. Not having ever bought or owned a SPEC clutch, I can't comment on them beyond that.

Given the limited choices, if I were looking for a robust clutch for a 3.0L car, I'd consider one of Oleg's Stage 3 kits, just don't be in a hurry for it, and if you can get beefy metal-loaded organic linings as pictured in Bean's post above, go for it. And don't ask for anything out of the ordinary, as this turns the delivery time into infinity.

As the aftermarket vendors dwindle to near zero for these cars, it's had to know who to recommend. As someone who spent quite a few years learning from other clutch rebuilders, and I finally just started building my own clutches for my supercharged Taurus SHO, I'm likely to notice more stuff wrong than most folks do. Oleg/clutchnet/californiaclutches.com seems to have a good product, and my experience with a warped disc seems to be rare, if not one-off.

SPEC clutches seem to run hot and cold, depending on the car and the automotive forums you frequent. Not having ever bought or owned a SPEC clutch, I can't comment on them beyond that.

Given the limited choices, if I were looking for a robust clutch for a 3.0L car, I'd consider one of Oleg's Stage 3 kits, just don't be in a hurry for it, and if you can get beefy metal-loaded organic linings as pictured in Bean's post above, go for it. And don't ask for anything out of the ordinary, as this turns the delivery time into infinity.

GMorrell - I still wouldn't recommend them, no matter how high quality the product. If you can't actually receive the product you pay for, the quality is irrelevant. These guys are scam artists. I had my GF call and pretend to need a clutch and she got a call back right away, but yet I leave multiple emails, voicemails and get nothing. PLUS, they attempt to fool me by starting the process for shipping with USPS, but never drop anything off to the post office. They're scam artists, pure and simple. Don't waste your time or money with them.

Back