• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

cd4e vb removal

xpdude

CEG'er
it looks easy, however can it be installed w.o a vb allignment tool? going to try to replace the vb tcc solinoid block as a last effort resort before i tear it down as a winter project i wana get a used trans from the junkyard. if its at 110k or less, do you think i would be ok? i think mine is on barrowed time with 203,000.

vb alignment tool as close as your hardware store

vb alignment tool as close as your hardware store

When I rebuilt mine. I found a couple of long bolts at the hardware store, cut the heads off, used a hack saw to cut in a slot and went to town. Good enough .

But why are you messing with your vb anyway? They rarely give problems, its often other parts that are the issue.

vb removal

vb removal

The trans threw a code, po1744. tcc stuck in off. i understand the tcc is on the top of the vb under the pan. Do you think that the torq converter is at fault or that tcc solenoid block. you say the vb rarely give problems? what else can it be. i have a new range sensor and added fresh fluid to the trans, same thing reappeared. also the engine throws a bad cat code, can this be a cause?

makes sense now

makes sense now

Oh, that makes sense, yup looking at the tcc in the solenoid block now makes sense, alot easier than pulling the torque converter and it may be the problem.

good luck

That small solenoid block can come off without removing the main big valve body. Four bolts hold it on, does not need tool to line up. I wouldn't pull off that plastic cover on it. Main valve body is what requires tool to line up all parts. I used two drill bits sized to just slip in two opposite outside corners.

vb removal

vb removal

can the vb come out without removing the trans? is their a code for a bad torq converter?

tcc block removal

tcc block removal

how do you get the connecter out of the tranny case where it plugs into the wireharness?

Yes, VB can come off without pulling trans. There are codes for slipping converter clutch. I believe that you squeeze that connector carefully to get a detent to retract and slip it right out. It's been hot for a long time, easy to crack it in pieces. I had no trouble with mine, it came right out, look at it close, thinking there was an o-ring on it. Don't flex the wiring to solenoids excessively either, they may crack. Don't remove the plastic cover over solenoids, you may destroy it. There is a very small resistor there somewhere for trans temp input, easy to damage.

connector removal

connector removal

The connector will come out once you release the tab. This tab is on the connector on the top of the trans case. Use a pliers carefully to depress the tab while pushing into the trans case.

vb removal

vb removal

I plan on replaceing the vb and tc, but I need a backup car 1st. Would you think that a junkyard tranny with 100-130k be ok to rob parts from or perhaps to just install? Will a v6 svt or se auto tranny fit or does it need to be a 4 cylinder? the v6 would be beefy? I will go to pick n pull and get a 99 or 2000.

of course it is his decision

of course it is his decision

If it were me (lazy tightwad old man) I'd try the tcc solenoid first. If he is lucky (like me) it will resolve his problem without having to yank the trans to replace the torque converter.

As for putting a used trans in the car, make certain that it works well (not easy from the junk yard). If your current trans is in good shape and the only thing you REALLY need to replace isthe torque converter then do just that. Better the devil you know.

good luck

cd4e compatablity

cd4e compatablity

ok, i found a 98 tour se v6 w/ 96k totaled. 400 bux, mint int. do you think that the tranny would fit my 97 4 cylinder ztec? gl?:laugh:

pulled 4 and 11 fuse, and now it worked all the way home

pulled 4 and 11 fuse, and now it worked all the way home

i went 60mph, it kicked out 4 times going up light hills. normal or is it suposed to stay locked in. if you let off the gas is it suposed to shift down to 4?

pulled 4 and 11 fuse, and now it starts shifting right!

pulled 4 and 11 fuse, and now it starts shifting right!

I guess its going to work now, but for how long! Yay! It worked for 2 days in a row w/o kicking out, did downshift going up light hills but no flashing light as of yet. Also no cel.

Back